Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Jan 2000 21:50:18 -0800
From:         Peter B <peterb@TIICO.COM>
Subject:      Engine Conversion Eurospec vs. South Africa
Comments: To: Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>

From what I can tell Per, there are two distinct differences that amount to a smoother engine in the Tii Trading conversion. On the conversion that I offer from South Africa, the air cleaner is mounted in the driver side cavity below the D pillar. What you cannot see in my web page is that on the other side of the air cleaner there is a hard plastic elbow. On the elbow is the 2 foot hose removed from the passenger side D pillar which diverts the intake noise to the outside air vents. This is exactly how the waterboxer is designed but we run it through the other side. All I have seen in the Eurospec kit is a K&N air filter or long tubes attempting to divert the noise out the passenger side cavity. It seems the intake noise reverberations remain inside the engine compartment.

The other difference I noticed was on the drivers side cross member mounting at the front. The Europspec kit mounts the cross member directly to the frame. With no rubber mount to buffer the vibration, it can only send reverberations through the frame and into the van. Our kit is suspended by a rubber bushing and then mounted to the frame. Therefore there is some buffer to absorb the vibrations. Volkswagen South Africa did there homework on this kit.

This kit was engineered by VW engineers and not put together with surplus parts, patchwork or used parts.Only genuine, brand new VW parts and a long thought out process to reach VW's standards. This kit has been in South Africa, in deserts, suburbs, you name it. This kit is fully road tested and roadworthy, currently installed on hundreds of Vanagons run hundreds of thousands of miles. Now it is our turn to have the pleasure.

----- Original Message ----- From: Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, January 03, 2000 3:52 PM Subject: Re: Engine Conversion Eurospec vs. nonEurospec