Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jan 2000 14:19:14 -0500
From:         John Lauterbach <jhlauterbach@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      DEAD in my garage on New Year's Day

My '84 Vanagon (1.9L wasserboxer) began to get flaky on me Tuesday morning. It was missing a bit when I started it up. Ran fine to/from work. When I fueled up Tuesday night (BP premium as was prior fill-up), it wouldn't start right away, and I had to crank it with the accelerator pedal depressed to get it going. AOK after that. On subsequent days, each time I started it (engine cold either in the morning or leaving work in the evening) it required same effort to get it started. Yesterday, when I left work just after noon, it wouldn't start. I could smell fuel, but engine wouldn't start.

I tired the my usual fix of wiggling the cable going into the ECU and tapping on the AFM, and it finally started. Ran fine all the way home. Since it is nice and warm here in Georgia today, I decided to do my periodic cleaning of the cable connection that leads into the ECU. After thoroughly cleaning it. started up the van. Started fine, although the idle was weaker than I would have like it to be. I let the van idle and it was soon idling fine. While I was putting my tools away, it died.

I tried restarting it and it ran briefly, and then died again. Here is what I have tried, found and corrected all with no luck.

Tach moves slightly when engine is cranked. Exhaust pipe smells of raw gasoline after engine is cranked. Fuel pump (or what sounds like it) runs for about one second when you turn the key then shuts off. I think I hear in running when I crank the engine (is this normal) I have tried a used ECU that I bought a few months ago from another list member who said it was ok when last used. Results same as with original ECU. I took off distributor cap (new 5/99, Bosch). Rotor (also Bosch and new 5/99) had black marked on contact. Contacts inside cap were heavily blacked and there was "black crud" on the cap equidistant between the contacts. I cleaned all contacts, cleaned inside of cap and reinstalled. I have checked connection to Hall detector. Contact leading to orange/black wire was heavily corroded, cleaned it up.

I won't be able to check for spark until my stepson gets back from Canada tomorrow unless I can do so with a timing light (Heathkit model from the late 70s, where do I put the different leads?).

Any help would be most appreciated. Fortunately, I do not have to go to work on Monday.

Thank you in advance.

John Lauterbach Macon, GA