Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Jan 2000 10:41:03 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      More Exhaust System for I-4 Comments

In reply to R. Feuerriegel's comments, I have no photographs to post as of yet. I planned to document the conversion, but I'm constantly tinkering and the months go by. Some other details on the exhaust system. The exhaust manifold I used is the "large flange" dual downport manifold offset towards the transmission. This manifold clears the diesel motor mount. This manifold when used in the A1 series has a substantial bellows flex assembly between the manifold and the exhaust pipe flange. For space reasons, I decided not to use this because the radius of curvature for the initial pipe bends would be too tight for the diameter of tubing we used. As I recall, we used 1.75 inch tube but it could be 1.5. Getting old too fast. Anyway, I matched the ID of the exhaust tube to the ID of the holes in the flange and gasket. We then snaked these dual pipes around to the rear drivers side with the smoothest mandrel bends we could use to join to a two to one 2.5 inch collector. This was welded to a generic cat (thought about the two inlet cat with one outlet but the total length of that RV cat was too much) and that to the big Durango muffler (still 2.5 inch diameter) then welded on the 18 inch resonator. Finally, a 90 degree tip is welded on ending right at the edge of the body side plane. The system is suspended at two points: the exit of the cat and the exit of the resonator. The system sounds remarkably like a Porsche 944 Turbo without the resonator, but she-who-must-be-obeyed suggested that quietude was the long term (trip) objective.

BTW I now have $350 total in the system including my part of the experiments supported (so to speak) by Dynamax and my muffler shop.

Frank Grunthaner