Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Jan 2000 12:34:19 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: replacing rear brakes on 80 vanagon
Comments: To: "Wagner, James W., , SAF/AQPS" <WagnerJW@PENTAGON.AF.MIL>

Brake squeal is typically the result of a vibration induced between the pad & rotor or, less commonly, the shoe & drum. This can be caused by worn parts (even just a slightly stretched spring), missing parts (i.e. that damping plate), improper installation, or poor parts quality/fit. Replacing brake hardware when you do your brake job is a good way to minimize this risk, as is buying good parts. Our brake shoes and pads are genuine German made Pagid (original supplier to VW). Best you can get, and not expensive since we import directly. We have both Italian and German wheel cylinders (Italian ones are under $10 and in my experience are every bit as reliable as German). Can't speak for what rotors or drums Parts Place sells, but ours are either German (Zimmerman) or Italian (ATE, Brembo, Bradi), again very high quality. Watch it, there is plenty of garbage out there, such as "no-name" Chinese made Vanagon rotors that were offered to me recently at a "bargain price" (no thanks). My rule of thumb is that I won't sell anything I wouldn't put on my own Vanagon, even if it might save a buck or two, so I try to offer "good parts cheap" rather than "cheap parts."

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW