Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:21:15 -0800
From:         "MOST,DAVID" <most@UCLA.EDU>
Subject:      how to replace heater core?

I wrote recently about a coolant leak that i noticed at the rear jack point. After removing the wood cover over the rear heater core, I can see coolant below the rear heater fan. I've tried running the engine while looking in the area, and I can't actually see from where the coolant is leaking. I've done this with the valve opened and closed.

The leak doesn't appear immediately either. Yesterday, I drove for a while, parked for a couple of hours, saw no leak, drove home, let it sit all night in the cold, and then I saw the leak this morning. In addition, this test was done with the valve closed the whole time, and the leak was larger than that obsserved with the valve open.

Though I can't see coolant coming out from anywhere, does this sound like the core has a leak? Is it the case that leak might be happening when things get cold and contract? I guess I'm not sure what a leak in the core usually means.

In any case, if it is the heater core leaking, I'm wondering if anyone can provide a few details about changing the core.

So far, I understand that I can probably use some c-clamps to close of the two hoses. The core seems to be held in by a couple of screws at the base, and it seems like I might have to unscrew the vent cover on the kick panel in order to remove the core. Are there any other places I'm not aware of?

Once I have the core out, how do I reuse the valve on a new core? Is there any sort of gasket between the two, or is it just a matter of a couple of screws?

Should bleeding be necessary if I've been able to prevent much coolant loss during the operation?

I know these questions are rather simplistic, but I prefer to go into the job knowing as much as possible ahead of time....especially since I'm now living in a small mountain town where Vanagon assistance can be hard to find.

Thanks for the help as always.

David