Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jan 2000 17:27:28 -0400
From:         "T. Thompson" <tonyt_eye@NS.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Auto transmission
Comments: To: Chuck Hill <hilltech@NETINS.NET>

Chuck I was impressed with your answer so it encouraged me to see if anyone on the list had experience with my automatic problem.

In the morning when the van is cold the transmission will not shift into third until the engine and presumably the transmission warm up something like 2 or 3 miles. Once the transmission shifts once its OK all day or until the van substantially cools off. This problem first surfaced after changing the fluid and filter, I thought maybe some magical additive had been added. The local shop tried cleaning up the regulator and I changed the fluid again but no change. I also notice a bit of revving in first when very cold . The transmission shop didn't give me a lot of confidence that they really knew what the problem was but offered to rebuild it to try and solve the problem. I do not have a transmission cooler but would like to add one for the hot summer runs. Can the part be retrofitted to a van that did not have one??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

Tony 85GL "Westfailure"