Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jan 2000 06:54:06 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Solution for Re: Vanagon Syndrome

At 08:39 AM 01/06/2000 -0500, you wrote: >Doran, there is a chance that what you are suffering from it the dreaded >"Vanagon Syndrome". It has been discussed several times on the List and >can be found in the Archives. I've forwarded one posting by Malcolm >Holser about "Tantalum caps, idle stabilizer, etc." that I think is >particularly relevant. > >>4. Last but not least, >> >>HUH, what the heck are you talking about. Lack of power cured by adding >>a capacitor to the electical system. I've never heard of such a scam in >>my life, and highly doubt that it will do anything that will help the >>lack of (engine?) power experienced in our beloved Vanagon's. > >Yeah, VW did pull a scam -- they "cost reduced" the nice Bosch L-Jetronic >into the "Digijet" and "Digifant" systems. Most of the reduction was in >the ECU, which turned into a really *dumb* unit. Noise on the AFM circuit >causes the ECU to panic, and is apparently *one* of the causes of "Vanagon >stumbling syndrome". >

For those who wish to put the Digijet/fant problems behind them, you can order a Bosch computer to replace the compromise original. It cost more. It works mo betta, and much longer, ie. is far more resistant to glitches due to the additional protective devices incorporated. You can also get a Bosch ignition module to replace the frequently failing Telefunken and Fairchild units. Same thing, cost more, functions mo betta and is overbuilt durable.

(Rant ON)

Just because VW cheapened out on these systems doesn't mean you have to compromise by replacing the junk with the same compromise parts. Bosch ist beste. Always check with a Bosch dealer to see if their typically bullet proof designed item is available as an upgrade from the compromise pit-fall, ruin the weekend, late to work, toad-away to the shark shop, originals.

In some 10 years of servicing Bosch systems on a dozen or so European makes, I have replaced one Bosch ECU and several Triuph-Adler Digifant/jet ECU's. Their rates of failure are two completely different worlds. Guess which one wins hands down, no contest whatsoever.

Am I biased??? You betcha. If you came to me for results and I gave you a facade of mediocrity, how long would you want to see me in business??? Would you advise others to use me or try elsewhere???

Always take the opportunity to upgrade. Example: when the battery terminals rot off, replace the whole cable with one guage heavier cable, not bull-roar quicky terminals. Can you say, "Value Added!!???

This, of course, is only if you want lower rates of failure and frustration with a "keeper". If your juris rigging for liquidation there are dreamers out there who are very unknowledable about such things and will cash you out without even kicking the tires. I know they're out there because they not only show up at my shop from time to time, they are the same group that keep the psychic hotlines profitable by telling them for a fee when the "vibes" are right to buy into the next facade. The Earl Schibe gloss is all the deeper they can perceive.

(Rant Off)

T.P. Stephens aka Doktor Tim Surveyor, Mechanic, Poet, Philosopher San Juan Island, WA