Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:01:55 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: (long) EVERYTHING you want to know about heat,
              was Porsche 6 cyl heating van
Comments: To: Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>

Hey Bulley -- This is great, but I think you oversimplified a few things, so I'd like to add a few comments...

At 10:11 1/6/00 , Bulley wrote: >system gets far hotter. The size of the motor dictates how "much" heat is >available from either source. A 2.7 liter Porsche motor theoretically will >have far more heat available (through the exhaust tubes) than the 2.0 air >or 2.1 water VW motors. Great. Onward.

Either motor will have roughly equal waste heat available *at a given power level,* assuming roughly equal efficiency. The big motor can deliver more power (i.e. burn more fuel) and when it is doing so it will waste more heat (i.e. have it available for cabin heating).

There is another thing which affects the situation, though -- each motor is shedding a certain amount of heat as engine cooling, and a certain amount as exhaust heat. The water-cooled motors use engine cooling for cabin heat, and the air-cooled use exhaust heat.

And just to stir things up a little -- the amount of heat available from a given transfer fluid is equivalent to the temperature times the mass times the specific heat of the fluid (i.e. how much heat it holds per mass per degree of temperature rise). Water masses in the neighborhood of one ounce per fluid ounce. Sea-level air is in the neighborhood of one ounce per 30 gallons. The specific heat of water (arbitrarily assigned as 1) is extraordinarily larger than almost anything else: Aluminum has a specific heat of 0.2, most other metals and materials about 0.1. Air is similar to aluminum. This large heat capacity is just another of the many properties of water which make it so astonishing (my favorite is its expansion on freezing -- if this were not the case, most of our lakes and I suspect oceans would be frozen year-round). All of this is to say that air-heating and water-heating are vastly different in practice. *For a given temperature difference,* you have to move roughly 20,000 times the volume of air as of water to achieve the same heat transfer. It is simplistic -- false, even -- to compare the source temperatures as a primary measure of the heat available from the system. The heat available is that heat shed from the engine as cooling or as exhaust. Either one (at the sort of engine efficiencies available in Vanagons) should be more than adequate. It is in the implementation of the system that success or failure lies (as you point out).

>The CARRIER can be electricity, oil, air, water, or something else. Each >TRANSFER of state from the ELEMENT to the final destination causes loss of >heat, inefficiency.

Agreed -- almost. Each state-change causes loss of *energy* -- as *HEAT* into the surrounding system. *However* here we are talking about starting with heat, ending with heat, heat in the middle. All we're doing is giving heat a chance to flow downhill, and the process is completely efficient because heat is already the most degraded form of energy. The inefficiencies from our standpoint, i.e. warming the cabin, arise from 1) failure to capture available heat from the input stream, i.e. inefficient heat exchanger from engine to carrier stream to output stream, 2) failure to move enough mass of carrier to achieve the desired heat transfer, and 3) heat loss from the carrier stream before reaching the destination, i.e. heater core or cabin interior. An auxiliary reason 4) would be excessive heat loss from the cabin. This is huge, and the reason is that there is so much input heat available already paid for that there is no economic reason to spend money and weight on cabin insulation. Your practical experiments have shown that #1 is not an issue -- there is plenty of heat available at the heat exchanger. However, both numbers 2 and 3 come into play, and you have solved them appropriately, i.e. insulate the ducts and increase the flow. I am curious from an ergonomics standpoint whether the increased flow is enough to be annoying in the cabin, but I imagine not. The V'gon heat distribution system is IMHO a blunt instrument already.

>home. Through all of these 'transfers', you have lost a 95% of the heat >from the original coal fire. Inefficient, (that is why it is so expensive >to heat with electricity).

Hyperbole. It's about 2/3 loss, and the vast bulk of that goes up the chimney at the power station. Now that people are working on ways to capture that energy, the net system efficiency of the best systems is maybe closer to 80%.

>Air-cooled motors have much more efficient and direct heat transfer. The >air that will warm you passes through exhaust tube heat exchangers (tran >sfer 1). Fiery-hot air moves directly to the vehicle to heat you (transfer >2). So why do air-cooled VW heaters have crappy performance? Read on.

Irrelevant, as I said before.

>The limiting factors however, are the CARRIER, and the CONTAINMENT. Water >(a carrier) has greater "thermal capacity" than air; once you get it hot, >it is less apt to cool down. Therefore, water encounters less loss on the >way to the heater core in the car.

Many factors here: Water has higher specific heat, so less mass required. Also higher specific gravity, so less volume per mass. Result is *much* smaller surface area to lose heat. OTOH, water transfers heat to the tubing wall about 300 times as fast as air (per equal wall area). OTOOH the transfer to the tubing wall goes up with the square of the temperature difference, which is greater (initially) with the air system. Also, the result of the area difference in tubing is doubled since the tubing is being forced-air-cooled from the outside. Net result is as you say, that the air duct needs insulation a lot more than the water tube.

>downside however, water does not transfer ALL of its heat to the exchanger, >it departs the exchanger warm, still carrying heat you could use. Not so >great.

No big deal. You haven't lost the heat. If you want to capture more on the first pass, use a bigger -- or better -- heat exchanger.

>Air (as the carrier) directly warms your body without additional transfers. >It isn't leaving lukewarm for another go around in the motor, it is here to >stay, to warm you, so it is a more efficient choice.

Irrelevant.

>Air as a carrier has another deficiency. It is far more apt to loose >VELOCITY than water.

Disagree. You put X amount of fluid in the pipe, you're going to get X amount back out. Air is a lot springier than water, so until you reach steady-state there will be more going in than coming out, but that's strictly temporary. Of course if you make your duct leaky because you can't be bothered, you'll lose that way. It's an open system, so you're not forced to eliminate leaks to avoid replenishing the fluid.... Either way you have to expend energy in pumping to overcome friction and turbulence losses. Water doesn't like to go around square corners any better than air. The major deficiency of air as a carrier IMHO is the sheer physical size of the installation required to move the necessary volume of air without resorting to high pressures with attendant pumping losses.

>Finally, we come to the CONTAINMENT. Water is routed through rubber tubes, >and plastic valves; high-temp threshold of about 320 degrees. Your metal >ducting and paper tubes bear 400 degrees with a grin. I've never tested VW >ducting to see at what temperature it scorches, but I guarantee, if we put >VW heater hose, and VW ducting in the oven, and turned up the heat until >one failed, you'd be scraping rubber off the oven floor. Paper can handle >much hotter heat.

Irrelevant. Rubber can hold water with a grin. <g> And it doesn't leak working fluid into the outside world.

Anyway, my picking your theory apart doesn't change the fact that your practical methods are 100% solid-gold Bulley, the genuine article accept no other none valid without our founder's signature reproduced on the bottle. On the religious issue of air vs. water I'm afraid I'm an ecumenist. Implementation is all.

Best regards, david David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"