Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:57:20 -0700
From:         John-Reed Maffeo <rlpa80@EMAIL.SPS.MOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: How does the Idle Stabilizer Work?
Comments: To: Gary Edwards <syncro86@yahoo.com>

Gary,

The idle stabilizer sits on top of the engine just above the distributor and a bit to the right. There are a couple of larger hoses attached to it and a smaller one too ( I think - I am relying on my fuzzy memory right now.)

I was having a problem trying to accellerate from a dead stop. The only way I could get going was to revv up the engine and slip the clutch. Even then it was a challenge to get going.

There was an additional problem of stalling at idle, engine warm or cold.

There is a vaccuum line that runs from the IS to a fitting highup by the fire wall on the right rear. The v line connects to this fitting via a rubber connector. The connector is small on one side and large on the other. That connector was cracked in several places and was an obvious candidate for replacement.

On the IS the v line attaches to a hollow round protrusion - like a little pipe. This pipe was all gunked up with oily residue.

I figured that between the gunk and the cracked fitting, whatever vaccuum that was supposed to reach the IS was being lost. So I cleaned everything up and replaced the connector.

The reason that I am asking how does the stabilizer work is because I don't know that what I did had much of an effect because at the same time I cleaned the contacts on the AFM and blew out all the dust on it and put drops of lubricant on places that looked like they needed it.

I hope that something here is helpful to someone.

John-Reed '86 Syncro - Glacie Mesa, AZ

Gary Edwards wrote: > > Hi. I too have an '86 syncro and was wondering if you > could educate me about the idle stabilizer unit. > > 1. where is this thing that you cleaned up and repalce > cracked hoses on? > > and > > 2. what symptoms was your van exhibiting to make you > think this was the problem? > > Thanks, > Gary