Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jan 2000 19:52:02 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@ISLANDNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mileage ?
Comments: To: Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@pangea.ca>

Marshall,

I run the standard 70 or 75 /205 14" on alloys. The sub-micron filter continuously cleans the oil, by way of a tee fitting on the oil pressure line. The clean oil is returned to the crankcase by a fitting I tapped into the unused fuel pump mounting plate.

I also use a VDO vacuum gage to monitor my driving and the engine. This greatly overlooked diagnostic tool also allow a careful driver to improve his fuel economy. The main method is to notice how much vacuum the engine has when your cruising. The most efficient balance of power and economy for a gas engine is at 14" of vacuum as I recall. My VDO gauge is even marked with green, good economy, and orange, poor economy, ranges.

By observing the vacuum at cruise I can adjust my speed so that the engine is in the "green" The green range starts at 9" and up. There is a green and orange range from 9" to 5". Below 5" inches the range is orange.

Depending on the wind, I usually consider 65 Mph at 12" vacuum my normal baseline on level ground. Anything above that I believe a tailwind is present. With a headwind I try to stay around 10, so if it is a real strong headwind, I drop my speed to keep the engine load in the green. By the way I have taken advantage of tailwinds by keep increasing my speed until I am running at 14" consistently. On one trip of 1000 miles from Ohio to Florida I had strong tailwinds from Carolinas to Florida. I ran that stretch at 70 + and still got 23 MPG. The vacuum gauge stay right on the 14" mark most of the way. Once I was down to 58 MPH in Alberta Canada in a headwind just keep the vacuum at 8". So it all depends.

The gauge is very sensitive to engine load. At idle, you can observe the vacuum needle drop to a lower reading by just turning on an electrical load, like the head light, or wipers.

This is great for situations like yours with a "nose high" condition. Very Very bad for increased aerodynamic drag, since air is now redirected to the "dirty" part of your van, both literally and aerodynamic. The undercarriage is full of flat surfaces which act as air brakes.

I'd consider correcting that first. Because it your engine that is getting the brunt of punishment by having to work harder to overcome the inefficiency of the vehicles attitude, i.e. nose high.

A vacuum gauge would confirm this. I used a tee fitting at the fuel pressure regulator to get my gauge source.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Mark Kelley 91 Carat WLE