Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jan 2000 15:29:21 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      What about us?: H2O tank senders solved!
Comments: To: "David Beierl (by way of David Beierl <dbeierl@ibm.net>)"
          <dbeierl@IBM.NET>

What about the poor sods like me who have the older, "solid state" sensor set up, with the three probes up the side of the tank? Does anyone know what breaks/fixes these?

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

"I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! -Wonka

-----Original Message----- From: David Beierl (by way of David Beierl <dbeierl@ibm.net>) [SMTP:dbeierl@IBM.NET] Sent: Friday, January 07, 2000 3:04 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: H2O tank senders solved!

[This was from last July or so. Precis: you can fix them or I can fix them. Panels or senders. I've done several by now - david]

Thanks to Steve Sittser who donated a bum sender to the cause, I can now tell you all about how they break and how to prevent it. These senders are prone to two problems, and fortunately Steve's had both of them, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed the second one. Both are fixable within limits. Here's the story:

These senders consist of a (styrene, I think) hollow plastic rod on which slides a float containing a magnet. The float is constrained to the middle 8 inches of the rod, with about 4-5 inches above and 2 inches below. This gives three effective positions, at the top, at the bottom, and anywhere else. The rod is slender and flexible.

Inside the rod is a long slender piece of double-sided glass PC board material, i.e. a copper-foil sandwich filled with GRP (glass-reinforced plastic). At the points corresponding to the float endpoints, the foil is interrupted on one side and a 560 Kohm resistor and a magnetic reed switch are soldered in parallel across the gap. The top switch is normally open and the bottom switch is normally closed. The two foils are shorted together below the bottom resistor/switch pair, and the lead wires are taken from the two foils at the top of the device.

With this arrangement, when the float is at the top it closes the upper switch, resulting in approximately zero resistance between the two leads. This corresponds to a green LED. When the float drops a quarter-inch or so the top switch opens, giving a resistance of 560K and a yellow LED. When the float drops to the bottom, it opens the bottom switch and the resistance is now 1120K, a red LED.

Problem 1: There are three places where water can get into this arrangement: the bottom cap, the entry for the wires at the top, and the joint btw the rod and the top fitting. On Steve's rod the leak was at that joint, which incidentally is the one that is stressed when you bend the rod. If any water should get in, even a drop or two, it will soak into the fiberglass and provide a small but unplanned current path btw the two leads. This will disable the red, and sometimes the yellow LED, i.e. red becomes yellow or green and yellow may become green.

Problem 2: The reed switches are tiny glass tubes with wires in each end and the ends melted shut. If you bend the rod away from the side the switches are on, it tries to pull the ends off the switches. Sometimes it succeeds. Again, the upper switch is much more heavily stressed than the lower one. That's good, b/c the lower switch is more exotic and probably harder to get.

Observation: The typical failure happens after "vigorously cleaning the tank." Now you know why.

Prevention: First, take the rod out and thoroughly seal the three openings. Elmer's Household Cement bites into the plastic all right, and I imagine model airplane cement would be as good or better. The opening at the top where the leads come out should get something flexible. Polysulfide rubber caulk (Lifecaulk, 3M 5200) should be great if you happen to have a tube around. Silicone would be a lot better than nothing. Second, pretend the rod is glass and DON'T BEND IT. If you're scrubbing the tank (or doing anything else inside) unfasten it so it hangs free.

Cure: If you can hear a tiny click as the float reaches each end, your switches are ok. Use a plumber's tubing cutter to carefully cut the rod open near the top, and very carefully draw out the internals. Dry the tube with alcohol and/or air and set it aside. Take the innards and dry them with *gentle* heat, air stream, vacuum, desiccant, whatever you can come up with. Multiple soakings with alcohol and air-drying would probably work just fine -- soak for fifteen minutes, dry for a day or so, repeat several times. If you have an ohmmeter that reads that high, stick the circuit into the rod far enough for the bottom switch to reach the float, and measure for 1120 Kohms +/- five per cent. Then reassemble the rod and cement it together where you cut it. Mechanical details I leave to your imagination -- sleeve, whatever. The rod doesn't have to be any particular diameter there. Just make sure it's really sealed, and at least as strong as before. Check before sealing it up that the float will operate both switches. Extra glue inside won't hurt the circuit, but may prevent you from taking it apart again, God forbid.

If you have a busted switch, probably the upper, do as above (if water got in) and also solder in a new switch. The top one is an SPST/NO (single pole single throw, Normally Open) and the bottom is an SPST normally closed, which is probably harder to find. This one actually uses a single pole double throw switch with the normally-open lead cut off. Radio Shack used to carry the SPST/NO reed switches, but no longer. Look for electronics parts distributors.

If you want me to fix these, I'll do them for $20 a pop plus shipping, $30 if it needs a switch, no charge if unfixable except shipping if you want it back. I can fix LED panels, too...

david David Beierl - dbeierl@ibm.net

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"