Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Jan 2000 14:32:54 -0800
From:         Chris Fall <cpfall@UCDAVIS.EDU>
Subject:      couple of questions

just bought an 83.5 Westy a few months ago and have had a hell of a time with cooling system. I believe that I have a small and possibly intermittent blow by problem in a cylinder leading to air in the system.

Q(s):

1) any idea how fast these things progress into more serious leaks? I'm having to burp it every 700-1000 miles or so. 2) my mechanic says that heads can't be tightened - doesn't work. reasonable? 3) it is possible that I also have a sticky thermostat - seems like it doesn't want to settle on a gauge position on the hwy. is this a VW only part or are there other ok replacements?

4) wierd and possibly related: This sounds like a Tom and Ray question, but they don't seem too interested in vanagonstys...

engine misses a bit at idle and sometimes on acceleration. I replaced the rotor cap because one of the plug sockets was really corroded. after less that 1000 miles/2 mos the same socket position is corroded again. The wire doesn't seem to be cracked. Any ideas?

Chris Fall cpfall@ucdavis.edu