Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:31:56 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Eurospec conversion/ coolant pressure/valves/etc.
Comments: To: albell@uvic.ca

I must agree that things aren't consistent with my experience here.

In my conversion, I went from I-4 diesel to I-4 gas, so these comments can't directly address WB to I-4 problems, but:

1. I had to replace my heater valve. Why ... it was old, and VW parts person said VW had changed the internal seals of this simple ball valve. I was told that this valve was the same one used on the Golf/Passat/Jetta series. I had the impression that one heater valve fits all, but not sure. My valve mounts inside the passenger compartment near the glove box.

1.a. Replacing the radiator? The maximum pressure applied is still given by the cap. 15 psi release cap (really 12 in my experience) is independent of drive pump. Age, sure, pressure - doesn't make sense to me.

2. I monitor coolant pressure all the time. On deceleration, particularly on a long grade or similar, I see a reduction in pressure. With hard acceleration, pressure increases. If the main coolant tank drops from its mount and falls below the inlet level to the pipe going to the radiator, the pressure and temperature go up. In fact the gauge has been very useful. With air in the tank or lines, the pressure buildup is slow and the max is quite low (1 to 4 psi). No air, the pressure comes up quickly and goes to 12 psi. Never see more than 12 psi gauge. Replaced the cap with another VW and a Stanton. No diff. Also easy to see how well the system seals overnight. I typically see 1 to 5 inch vacuum overnight.

To summarize, in my system, the coolant system pressure is directly determined by power dissipated by the engine. Temperature goes up , pressure goes up. Temperature (heat load) goes down, pressure goes down. Note that the temperature measurement we follow is at the block. I intend to install a temperature sensor at the radiator also, just to follow the real coolant temperature. The thermostat is capable of rapidly modulating the coolant flow at the block. I find the pressure variation to significantly faster than the gauge temperature would indicate. Oh yes, rapid acceleration of the engine (in neutral) will cause will cause a quick of 4 to 7 psi in the system pressure which must be related to the head pressure developed by the pump.

My fractional centimes worth,

Frank Grunthaner