Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jan 2000 00:16:12 -0800
From:         Warren Chapman <warren8@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Some Engine Conversions (fomerly "TO WATERBOXER OR NOT"??)

(This is the edited spell-checked version. Please excuse the previous post.)

Ah, ....................."TO WATERBOXER OR NOT TO WATERBOXER" ..........Certainly one of the most profound questions of the universe.

I also am pondering this question deeply......being the owner of a (recently acquired) '91 Syncro Westy with a rod through the top of the block. I've been pondering this question for a year, trying to imagine the perfect van, even before purchasing the ill fated Syncro.

In my quest, to date, I have inspected and driven three conversions:

1. A '91 Multivan with a Eurospec 2.0 L which was (after smogging) upgraded with a bit more aggressive cam.

2. An '86 with Country Homes Camper with a 5 cyl Quantum/Audi.

3. An '85 with the Kennedy/Subaru 2.2L conversion.

My impressions are as follows:

1. Eurospec: Very nice fit…. looks factory…. very "sanitary" and it keeps me and the other "purists" happy since everything is still VW. But, alas,….. there is little improvement in power and torque over my previous van, a stock '91 Multivan. The vibration and "drone" problem was evident but was reportedly solved later by the installer with a re-engineered motor mount. Uphill climbs in the Berkeley, CA hills still required 2nd gear, long grades still required third gear, but the power was a little stronger in the upper rpms. On the freeway, cruising over 70 mph was easier with less strain.

Maybe the better reliability is worth it to some, but for the very considerable sum this kit costs, I want more bang for the buck...i.e: more POWER in the upper rpms for highway driving, and more TORQUE in the lower rpms for around-the-town general derivability (fun), for climbing steeper hills, and for pushing the heavier Syncro. (The Syncro Westy is my mountain home during fly fishing trips, usually in the mountains). Even in the relatively light Multivan (probably 800-1000 lbs lighter than a Syncro Westy), this engine leaves me wanting more. In summary, this kit doesn't get the job done (for me) and the reported reliability problems in recent posts seal its fate in my future.

2. Quantum/Audi 5cyl. Now we're talking. The torque and power are there. Driving is definitely more fun around town and climbing in the hills is easier. And we're still in the VW/Audi (extended) family. When I look under the lid, however, I am disappointed. The install doesn't look right. Although performed by a professional the conversion looks like a “backyard” job. Not-so-sanitary welding here and there on the throttle linkage and the expansion tank mounting brackets are welded directly verticle to the compartment wall with no other support. Maybe the S. Africans have it right but this install doesn't have the sanitary "factory" look. The van drives more like I want it to, with good torque in the lower ranges, and it climbs with much less effort in the hills. But I notice again a few curious resonances and drones at certain rpms. I keep looking.

3. Kennedy/Subaru I have read several internet sites about this swap, but I am concerned about the Japanese/German mix. I read a lot of flames from this list about leaving the "family"…...snide remarks about "Vanarus". But I notice the sites about the swap go from the conversion documentary to successful journeys. There is a noted absence of questions about how to fix problems later. Just reports of happy motoring.. I take note. But I wonder and worry about what a Subaru engine will do the value of my Syncro Westy which is probably worth about $22K with a new waterleaker. Will it be called a Syncru???? I am embarrassed about the nickname.

I locate a Vanagon with a Subaru within an hour of my home. The installation is an early version of Kennedy kit installed in a well worn (and loved) Vanagon/Country Homes Camper. It is owned by a local Lutheran minister (Dr. Brian) and he performed the swap at home in his garage. He seems pleased to talk about it. I take note again. He also is willing to show it to me and even let me drive it.

I met him a few days ago to see the install. The Subaru looks like it belongs in the Vanagon engine bay. Plenty of room for service and (except for the name) could have been put there by a proud factory. He starts it up and it springs to life easily. I tell him it sounds rather like the stock engine at idle. He laughs and reaches into the engine compartment and gives it some gas. The resultant throaty sound is most definitely not a wasserboxer sound. It sounds like a Jaguar. The Reverend gives me a demo first. He tells me to be careful because the revs build fast and 90 mph comes up quickly. He demonstrates on the freeway onramp. I take note. '90 does come up quickly. The Reverend starts showing signs of nervousness when its my turn. He warns me to be extra cautious in the turns. “If you give it too much gas in a slow turn it will break the rear wheels loose.” I take note again and can't wait for my turn.

When I get to drive, my first test is a long gradual uphill freeway grade. I maintain 75 in fourth all the way up the grade. The engine is silent. I hear the bumps, rattles, and wind noise of an older Westy, but no engine sounds. Then I turn off the freeway and go up into the hills. When I start up an uphill climb I take the first sharp curve and apply the gas. The Westy pulls strong. It seems eager for the next curve. I start to grin and the Reverend twitches nervously and warns me again with, ''be careful, it's my "Baby". I wonder why he is so concerned. It seems like a normal healthy way to drive and in my more irresponsible days, I have owned a few Porsches. This is more like it, I think to myself. On the next curve a press a little harder with the right foot. To my surprise, the wheels break loose with a little shutter from the axles. "Watchit says the Reverend". I fake a serious (responsible) face and lift my right foot, but I'm grinning inside.

With a few more turns I learn to feather the gas a little more adroitly and start to really enjoy myself. This is how I want my van to drive. I wonder what will happen in those turns with the 4wd…..probably just rapid motoring with no axle hop. The engine does not vibrate, drone, or make weird vibrations. It does, have a funny light on the dash, the check engine light required by CA smog rules, which has an annoying tendency to come on for reason's its computer understands, but I don't. The Reverend turns it off with a switch installed on the dash.

Now I think I know why all the guys who chronicle this conversion on the web aren’t back on later with questions and chat about how to solve their problems. They out there on the road smilin' and enjoying their van

I still wonder (and worry) about what my Syncru will be worth after the swap. But since I plan to have this van in my family forever, I guess it's only an academic question for the curious, and the members of this list who have a lot of opinions (but not much experience from actually driving a van with an "alternative" engine).

Of course, I cannot comment on the longevity or ease of service of any of these conversions. The Eurospec and the 5 cyl were both fairly recent conversions, but I do know the Reverend's been smilin' and drivin' for several years now.

Heck I'm a purist too. I would much prefer to have a VW label on all the parts in my van. But the mythical 2.6L, 5cyl (all VW/Audi) Syncro with a 5 speed tranny + granny low does not exist, (even in South Africa).

But I want a van to drive now! And although I appreciate all the valuable help from this list on how to keep my Vanagon running, my wife misses me since I became a vanagon owner, and there are mountains to climb and fish to catch. I want to be out there and I would also like to have confidence that when I go, I also get home. I love my van but I want it to help me have a lifestyle and knowledge of outdoor places, not a complete understainding and knowledge of headgaskets and coolings systems. I expect engines to go for 200K+ miles, not 60K or 80K miles.

So, at least for now,............my only two questions are..........do I put the Subaru engine in myself or have someone do it for me .......and .......who will make the custom oil pan that I need to allow me to install the stock Syncro skid plate underneath the Subaru engine.

I know this post will certainly push some buttons and brings some more thoughts and opinions. But please, may I request that respondents be those with some real world experience with one of these (or other) conversions, rather than the usual flood of speculation and opinion.

Warren Chapman '87 Syncro Westy '91 Syncro Westy (dead, most likely to become a Syncru Westy)