Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:22:33 EST
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Some Engine Conversions (fomerly "TO WATERBOXER OR NOT"??)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com
Comments: cc: Warren Chapman <warren8@earthlink.net>

Now that I have most of my problems worked out (Computer, O2 sensor, AFM, Throttle switch, Hall sensor, coil, spark plug wires, tight valves allowing compression leaks, Injectors, bad locking diff in tranny) (Idle control module next on the list for cold idle problem)

I am glad that I chose to modify my Wasserboxer engine. I have built an engine that has power from @1500 RPMs (in 1st - 3rd I can go down to @800 RPMs) to about 5600 RPMs (I have only taken it to 5K).

I can take 5th gear down to @35mph @ 1500 RPMs and up to past 80 mph smoothly. 4th gear can go down to @25 @1500 RPMs mpg and still pull smoothly back to 65 mph It can accelerate quickly now, I often lead the stop light pack if in front. Coming onto off ramps, I can keep it in fifth drooping to @40 (Sharp curve) going up hill and maintaining 45 mph.

I need to get the short shift kit from Gene Berg to improve my shifting

I have built the engine around my driving habits. I do not like to shift gears when I am not in an aggressive driving mood and when I am in the mood, I can drop to a lower gear and fly...

The main power band is between 2200 to 4800

I have an 88' Wolfsburg, If I was in a heavier Vanagon I would bump the compression up a little for a little more power.

The cost of my improvements would add less than @$1500 to the price of a rebuild.

Gas mileage is @20 mph (heavier accelerations) - 22 mpg city and 24 mpg to 25 mph highway at @65 (I fixed a throttle switch problem so mph should maintain or improve)

Best of all no conversion problems... It is still as factory designed only much better.

Robert