Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jan 2000 17:08:38 -0800
From:         Martin Laycock <m.laycock@UKGATEWAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: fiamma bike rack
Comments: To: Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>

----- Original Message ----- From: Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2000 8:50 AM Subject: Re: fiamma bike rack

> Martin, > Would you be so kind as to answer these questions about the Fiamma racks?

No problem

> 1. Three bikes? I thought I saw only two troughs for tires on the T2?

Yes... three bikes if you buy an extra rail and bolt it on to the rack. It is only an extra15 UK pounds or so and is fitted easily using the pre drilled holes. A longer top tube clamp ('Bike-Block' they call it) is also available to keep three bikes separated. If you are tight with your cash the 'Bike-Block' can be replaced by rubber tie down straps to tie the bikes to each other and to the rack.

> 2. Do they rattle?

No rattles. I have heard the odd creak from it when fully loaded but nothing seems to be falling appart.

> 3. Will that arm that holds the top tube of the bike work for a radically > slanted top tube or does it only work with a horizontal top tube?

I would say horizontal tubes only, the clamps don't twist round . I carry his and hers bikes and I put the gents bike with the horizontal top tube in the second position so that the clamp will work. If you need to carry two ladies bike frames then the rubber tie down straps would do fine. While touring around I have seen early versions of this rack and they don't use clamps at all, just lots of elastic.

> 4. Which of these (T2 and T4) works with a 90 Westy? It looks from the > photos like the T4 rests on the bumper. Does the T2 grip the bottom edge of the hatch door like the old Paulchens did?

A '90 westy will need a T2 rack. It clamps to the rear hatch top and bottom with plastic coated steel brackets. The top ones are curved to the shape of the top of the door. The bottom ones are square shaped and go underneath the door. The T4 rack does sit on the bumper and is for later Transporters. It can carry four bikes so this is possibly the reason for the extra supports.

> 5. Will the rear wiper work with the rake on?

Yes, there is plenty of clearance between the rack and the window.

> 6. Can the rear hatch be raised with the rack on? with a bike in the rack?

The Fiamma fitting instructions say 'ATTENTION open your door only when the bike carrier has been completely stretched and is not loaded; this is to prevent damages to the vehicle paint.'

I would say that I do open the door with bikes on it sometimes but it is a VERY heavy lift and I don't go higher than about 45deg. The bike wheels are strapped to the rack with special straps so nothing will fall off if you try this. With no bikes on the rack the door opens easily. Mine does close over again sometimes but I think this is due to weak lifting struts.

Hope this helps. I have some van photos I could scan with the rack on if anyone is interested.

Martin 82 Transporter Scotland