Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:27:42 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: 5th seat
Comments: To: "Kevin, Michelle, & Ivy" <kturk@ALASKA.NET>

Kevin-

There are five different "seats" that can be placed between the front row, and the back row.

The first is only figuratively a seat...the Westfalia Porta-Potty box sits behind the passenger seat, and *can* work as a rear-facing seat. It is not truly fixed (some pitiful little straps keep ours from skidding to & fro). Our PO had seat belts mounted for this location, but it isn't a true "crash-tested" seat, and should only be used to transport people who you really don't like, or at least don't mind seeing take a tumble in a wreck.

Next, the VW Jump Seat. It is a James-Bond style, fold-down, easily removable, rear-facing jump seat that mounts to the floor/battery box behind the driver and/or passenger with little difficulty. Comfy, head restraint, crash tested. Smart design. Requires special hardware, which MOST seat owners are smart enough to sell with the seat. Without the hardware, the seat makes a nice door stop.

Third, the forward-facing 2-person bench. Mounts to tracks on the floor...head restraints & seat belts are integral. If you have a Westy, you cut through the plywood flooring to reveal the mounting tracks. Extends the bed, but blocks the fridge. Easily removable while at a campsite...makes a handsome sofa while camped. Accent with a fallen log for a coffee table, and a couple of stumps for end tables, and your little tentative living room will get the Better-Homes Seal of Approval.

Fourth, the (somewhat rare) three-person middle bench. Same as above, but obviously won't fit in a Westy. Has a fold down section to permit relatively easy access to rear seat. Increases seating capacity such that the innumerable folks spilling out of your van will make passersby think that you and your vehicle are part of the circus.

Fifth, the pedestal seat. I've not seen one in person (seen pics), but here is what I know (and don't know). It is a forward facing seat, that sits like a dunce-chair in the middle of the van. How it sticks to the floor, I don't know. Seat belts/head restraints are integral. The base is a large box, with a padded top. The box is large enough to accommodate pelts, dried rations, beads, or other items for trading on the open frontier. Or you can do a little fancy painting with bright colors, and attach a large crank to the side of the box, and make the solitary individual seated on this box look just like a Jack-in-the-Box. Your kids will love it. The last person picked up in your carpool will not.

Best of luck,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

"I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! -Wonka

-----Original Message----- From: Kevin, Michelle, & Ivy [SMTP:kturk@ALASKA.NET] Sent: Monday, January 10, 2000 11:43 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: 5th seat

Carl:

It isn't obvious to me that my '89 Syncro Westie is set up to take a 5th seat; I don't see any attachment points on the floor. Were some vehicles made with the floor attachments and some not? Or, do all vehicle floors need to be modified? Is installation that tough? And, what about seatbelts?

Kevin