Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:10:24 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Plat Cat... for real!
Comments: To: "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <dfrandolph@TALKAM.NET>

At 15:32 1/10/00 , Fitz-Randolph, Douglas wrote: >1) I've been using my DuraCat/BlackCat since September and it STILL stinks - > >as in it produces this noxious sweet smell when running. Smelly, yes, but >I can live with it.

Gee, got this crummy old Bernzomatic propane-fed (along with two big mooring pennants and an S-W electric oil gauge for $10 the bunch) and it doesn't smell at all. Mild propane smell while lighting, but instructions point out that if smell continues then it isn't properly lit. It's ugly, though, dear me. And the catalyst bed is fragile. Instructions say if it gets a hole in it, patch it with some pulled from elsewhere on the bed. It's a rectangular sharp-cornered box with room inside for a 14-oz tank and a spare -- I run it with a hose from a BBQ tank. The heating element is a maybe 10-11 inch flat dish with a coarse wire grill over it, the whole mounted about 1 1/2 inches clear of the front of the box. Variable regulator that screws to the top of the bottle and sticks through a hole in the box, with a red button on top to increase flow for starting. Adjustment range supposedly 3000-6000 BTU/hr. I've run it for days with no peep from a CO detector (which OTOH went off and drove the people at the dealer nuts when they pulled it into their work bay). The heat is primarily radiant which makes it nice in the mornings if you hang it overhead off the skylight adjuster. Sort of like a heat shower. Haven't had any problems with overheating the skylight, which I leave open a crack. This gives nice convection-forced ventilation with input through the door vents.

david David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"