Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jan 2000 21:48:37 -0500
From:         Chris Gkikas <theerion@GATOR.NET>
Subject:      Re: Broc2K is up!

Y'know, I've been tooling this over in my head since the sun went down and the same thing occurred to me: shaky. This was my dilemma: I only have one reservoir, and it's about three feet at its widest. Whereas my first system simply had two tubes with elbows draining directly into the reservoir, this new system is about four times as wide. This left me with the challenge of somehow returning the nutrient to the tank, eight feet to the right and only 6" down.

I thought about drilling holes in the bottoms of the pipes at the drain end. The problem with this is getting a good seal around the fitting, because the surface isn't flush (round pipe). Also, since the PVC is so thin-walled, any fitting I could jam in there (seal notwithstanding) would rise above the "gully" and result in pooling, not to mention possibly a rough time unclogging the drains from root blockage.

Tomorrow brings more planning and tweaking. Because of the algae problem, I was planning on capping the pipe with a test cap that's been cut in half (bottom half open for draining, of course). This would keep light out and keep the wind from whippin' around in there. I'm also considering skipping the test caps altogether and just wrapping black plastic around the applicable areas and hoping that this keeps thing in check.

I'm rather pleased. I used flexible metal pipe-hanging straps, the kind that comes in a roll for $1.66. I used tin snips to cut them to the appropriate size, and drilled them into the crossmember, FIRMLY strapping the pipes in place. I found that I could loosen the screws on one side of the strap, thus releasing some of the tension, but allowing fine adjustment of the pipe's position with respect to its drainage hole in the return pipe.

If all goes well, tomorrow I'll mix up a reservoir and I'll have the baby broccoli in by sundown. I've got school all day, but I've gotten used to working on this thing in the dark. :)

Best, Chris