Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:58:51 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coleman Plat Cat Heater Report
Comments: To: Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>

At 14:05 1/8/00 , Bulley wrote: >I think some folks who have SEEN a Catalytic heater are confusing these >with an ol'-timey parabolic dish heater.

Could be, could be...

>While I'm not Dr. Propane or anything, I'm positive these small bottle-top >Catalytic heaters weren't available (at least on the K-Mart consumer level) >until a year-or-so ago.

I'm sure you're right there. But catalytic heaters for camping have been available using Coleman fuel for at least 35 years, and using propane for at least 20 or so. In fact Bernzomatic is recalling one of the fairly early propane models, with a $125 (!) reward for every one you turn in. The one I have is the next model over (cost me $5) and they say it's fine.

Incidentally, the catalytic combustion of fuel gas has been used back into the 19th century -- the lamplighters (some of them anyway) had a long stick with a hook to turn on the valve, and a little bit of platinum sponge which they held in the gas stream until the lamp ignited. Platinum sponge is sort of the platinum equivalent of activated charcoal -- enormous surface for a given amount of material. I forget how they made it.

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"