Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jan 2000 00:55:38 EST
From:         Gary McEachern <glmce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      (LONG) Surging Idle fixed! / Surging O2 sensor readings

Hello I'm still having a problem with the FI in my new '87 weekender. When I first start the van the O2 voltage starts around 0.45V and slowly climbs for about 3-5 minutes till it reaches approx 0.8V. Once it exceeds +0.8V the voltage starts to ramp up and down from 0 to 0.8V every few seconds.

So far this is what I've done: 1. Replaced oil, plugs, rotor and cap 2. Connected another ECU with a Digitool connected to it. This ECU functioned the same as my ECU which makes me believe it is OK. The digitool readings indicate the T1 and T2 sensors are in range of where they should be. It also showed that the O2 sensor voltage was ramping up and down from 0 to 0.8V every few seconds while I was driving the van. I attributed the ramping O2 voltage to the surging idle condition. It was nice to be able to look at the various inputs to the ECU while I was drivinng. My thanks to Bob Donalds for letting me use his ECU w/Digitool and also to Darrell for creating the Digitool! It's a great diagnostic tool for the Vanagon FI system! 3. Disconnected and replaced the idle stabilizer and valve. The surging idle stopped when I removed/replaced the idle stabilizer however the O2 sensor readings continue to wildly ramp up and down.4. Exchanged the AFM and all connected hoses with a known good parts from my other 87 van. No change to O2 sensor readings. The part number on the stabilizer in my vehicle is 251-907-393B. This part number does not match the number i found on the BusDepot web site for a 1987 model. Is this the correct part number for my van? 5. Checked the fuel pressure and regulator using a SW oil pressure gauge. Readings looked to be around 34psi at idle with vacuum connected and 40psi with vacuum disconnected. 6. Replaced Temp II sender. No effect.

What I haven't done yet that I can think of. 1. Adjusted Timing 2. Replaced O2 sensor

Questions 1. What is/are the symptom(s) of an O2 sensor going bad? 2. Could the timing affect this problem? I have not adjusted it yet. 3. The fuel pressure seems high. It should be 29/36 vs the 34/40 I read on the oil pressure gauge I used which has poor accuracy/resolution. Should I get a better gauge to remeasure the fuel pressure? It seems like high fuel pressure would cause a rich condition. Do the fuel pressure regulators tend to go bad? 4. Could a coolant leak into the cylinders cause the irratic O2 sensor readings?

Any and all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hello list folks

Today I found the causes for the continuous surging I was experiencing on my newly acquired 87 GL. These were: 1.) Two small hoses connected that are connected to the throttle and stabilizer valve had become disconnected on the back side of the firewall leaving 2 sizeable vacuum leaks. 2.) The idle stabilizer control unit was bad. I disconnected the input to the stabilizer and the idle smoothed out noticeably. I exchanged the valve and control unit from my other van which confirmed the stabilizer control was bad. If anyone has a good idle stabilizer for sale please p-mail me!

While going through the troubleshooting, I disconnected the O2 sensor and monitored its voltage with a DVM. The voltages read in the range of .8 to .9 volts! With the same test setup the voltage off the O2 sensor on my other van is .5V which is what I expected. I also substituted the AFM, bellows and associated hoses from my older van to the newer van with no effect.

From these readings I must assume the new van is running very rich at least when it is not running closed loop.

What are some of the likely scenarios that would cause these high O2 sensor voltage readings? I expected the AFM substitution to improve or correct the problem but it made no apparent difference. Any suggestions?

Gary

Gary McEachern, Reading Ma. '84GL Sunroof (2) '87GL Wolfsburg Weekenders '75 Spitfire