Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jan 2000 01:47:54 -0600
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      Re: 5th seat
Comments: To: Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>

The pedestal single seat assembly uses the same floor rails as does the ubiquitous double seat; it simply bolts right in. Since it swivels, it can be used as front or rear facing (or sideways if you want to emulate the front seating experience of many city busses, or NYC subways.) The seatback is shorter than the front buckets, and has no headrest. It has the same seat attachment tracks as do the front buckets, so it can be simply slid off and exchanged with any other Vanagon bucket seat.

I obtained a brown one of these this fall and intend to switch the seat with a spare blue front bucket, so that it will have matching fabric to the rest of my seats.

BTW, the existence of a "spare" front bucket does not indicate that riding shotgun in my van means sitting on an orange crate. Rather, when the opportunity arose, I upgraded from standard armrests to adjustable armrests, by replacing my 1986 front seats with those from a 1987. (Apparently 1987 was the first year of the adjustable armrest.)

I also have installed one rear facing, removeable jump seat behind the driver's seat, but it gets rare use as few of my passengers enjoy riding backwards. The jump seat could actually be used in conjunction with the pedestal seat if the pedestal seat were simply mounted behind the front passenger seat, instead of in the middle position. However, it is my intention to typically use one or the other middle seats, not both simultaneously.

Budd Premack 86 Syncro, 73 Super Minneapolis, MN (Land of Frozen Waters)