Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jan 2000 08:20:05 -0500
From:         Lawrence Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: (LONG) Surging Idle fixed! / Surging O2 sensor readings
Comments: To: Gary McEachern <glmce@HOTMAIL.COM>

Gary, Check the rubber seal on the tip of your fuel injectors. On our van, I found that air was being drawn in past the injectors when the idle was at low revs. This caused the OXS to detect oxygen and the ECU determined that the mixture was "too lean". The ECU enriched the mixture and the engine rev'd higher. The rubber seals on the injectors sucked in tighter and less air was sucked in. The OXS read less oxygen so the ECU leaned the mixture. The resulting oscillation had about a one second interval. The way I tested this was simple. I pressed the injector in while the engine idle was oscillating and the oscillation changed. The fix is also simple. The spectacle shaped metal pieces that hold the injectors in place need to be bent (flattened) a very slight amount so that they press more firmly on the injectors. The injector seals should also be replaced for best results.

Gary McEachern wrote:

> I'm still having a problem with the FI in my new '87 weekender. When I first > start the van the O2 voltage starts around 0.45V and slowly climbs for about > 3-5 minutes till it reaches approx 0.8V. Once it exceeds +0.8V the voltage > starts to ramp up and down from 0 to 0.8V every few seconds.

This is normal. Your OXS is working correctly

Hope this helps -Larry '86 Syncro Westfalia Camper '86 Syncro CrewCab Pickup