Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:51:38 EST
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Some points on why the Wasserboxer was the way for me...
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

When I was looking at engine alternates, I saw that each type of engine has its own unique set of problems.

I looked at the water-cooled VW news group, and saw that the inline engines had engine problems too- head gasket, oil problems, etc., FI problems, transmission problems.

The SUBARU engines have their own set of engine problems...

And the Wasserboxer has its own problems which are well known.

When I looked at the engine possibilities AND my POCKETBOOK, I choose to address the Wasserboxer problems (Which were relatively simple) rather than try to make some engine fit by reengineering the engine to the engine compartment fit. And waiting for the next problem to come along. I also like the fact that there is no timing belt to break or replace.

I was thinking about VWs use of hoses and why are the hoses on the outside of the engine rather than built into the engine...Could it be that it is cheaper to replace a hose on the outside rather than remove an inline head to replace a blown gasket... just a thought...

What I wanted to give fellow vanagoneers that need AND WANTED to rebuild their engine a way to increase the power, reliability AND fix the troublespots in the Wasserboxer engine without a lot of added costs compared to replacing and reengineering their van for a different type on engine. The only thing that required a little engineering was in adding the muffler, I had to bend the mounting arms down a little and make a strap to fit the larger 6" round muffler, the rest is done by the machine shop or is bolt on.

The only problems I have had is to fix the damaged FI components (from a short in the wires going to the hall sensor BEFORE I bought the van) I have replaced all FI parts except the computer (repaired) and fuel pump. The other main problem was the locking diff acting up and UPS dropping and damaging my tranny (Replaced with a NEW .457 from Weddle).

I could make it go faster but that requires more money... Rods @$300 Oversized pistons @$ 700 Clearance case ??? stroked crank @$1000

Also I kind of took the upgrades as a type of challenge...

Robert