Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:59:14 -0500
From:         Doug Alcock <dgalcock@HEWITT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Read: 81 Westy fridge problem
Comments: To: "Carrington, Tom" <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM>

Thanks Tom!!! I figured someone on the list would know ---- and that it sounded like the blame lay in Redmond....

Cheers, Doug

From: "Carrington, Tom" <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM> on 01/13/2000 12:44 PM

Please respond to "Carrington, Tom" <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: Client: Subject: Re: Read: 81 Westy fridge problem

The winmail.dat file is from somebody trying to send MS RTF (Rich Text Format) messages with fonts, colors, etc across the Internet. Internet mail (SMTP) is plain text messaging. So the sender's MS Exchange server takes all the formatting instructions and drops them into an attachment named winmail.dat. The idea is that a MS Exchange server on the other end (since we all run MS Exchange as our mail server, right?) will put it all back together again. Non-MS Exchange servers just treat it as an attachment.

Many network admins disable that RTF stuff from hitting the 'net as a courtesy. The default is on, but their admin could turn it off if he/she desired.

TomC tcarrington@relitech.com http://volksweb.relitech.com 85 Vanagon Crew Cab 82 Westy diesel=>gas conversion 65 Notchback