Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:12:14 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fast German Auto chip and rockers
Comments: To: Lawrence Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>

Lawrence, just a few thoughts.

I relate more to aircraft engines but I think the principles apply.

In a piston aircraft engine, the fuel air mixture can be adjusted by the pilot while in flight. This allows him to control his fuel burn and power which varies considerably as he goes up and down in altitude. The up and down affects air density, and the density affects the about of oxygen available for the fuel, so what is the correct fuel/air ratio on the ground is not the best fuel air ratio at altitude.

Typically most piston aircraft engines are run at maximum rpm for take off to develop maximum power. As soon as the airplane leaves the ground and various drag inducing parts are closed up the airplane with all that power applied accelerates rapidly. The throttle setting is reduced to provide adequate power to climb to altitude. Upon reaching altitude the pilot will adjust the power for the best performance.

There are three settings generally worked with. Lean Best Power, Peak Power, and Rich Best Power. In most of todays airplanes the settings for all this can be monitored very closely with sensitive exhaust gas temperature gages. The pilot has two power controls available to him. The throttle and the mixture contol. With throttle he controls the airflow through the engine. With mixture he controls the fuel. With the throttle set to any given position, the pilot can vary the amount of fuel, and by watching the exhaust gas temperatue gage, he can tell exactly what the engine is doing.

In common operation, for best power performance, the throttle is set, and the mixture leaning adjustment is begun. The throttle is not touched. As the leaning continues, the exhaust gas temperature gage needle will begin to move, showing hotter and hotter. Eventually the EGT as it is called, will peak out. That is, it will reach a point where the needle no longer shows an increase in temperature. This is the hottest running point of the engine, and efficiency of the fuel burn is at it's absolute peak. The pilot is getting the max btu's from the fuel at that point. This is Peak Best Power..

However, the materials in the engine cannot stand continuous operations at those temperatures. Heat erosion will begin and soon hot spots will develop and detonation will begin to destroy the engine. So what to do.

Well, the pilot continues the leaning process, As he does so, the temperature begins to drop. Somewhere between 25 and 50 degrees after peak temperature he will reach a point where he is running lean, but cool. He is not producing a lot of power but is getting the greatest fuel efficiency from the engine. This is the mode in which an airplane is flown in when the concern is not speed but distance. Any further leaning and the engine will begin to run rough. The fuel air mixture will not produce a uniform burn in the cylinder. The flame pattern in the cylinder will be ragged, and will cause the roughness.

The most common practice is to fly an airplane with the power settings at Rich Best Power or less. The "less" part is at reduced throttle and mixture leaned accordingly. However the engine is often run at rich best power to get best speed. In this case the scenario is to set the throttle, then begin to adjust the mixture towards lean. As the EGT needle rises it is watched closely, When it peaks, the pilot begins to enrich the mixture until the EGT needle points 25 degrees before Peak Best Power. This is the cool side of peak power....a little more fuel is flowing through and the extra fuel is helping to keep things cooler.

These principles apply to our beloved vanagons and their wasserboxers. A slight richness helps cool things. To rich and black smoke issues forth.....unburned carbons. The ECU in conjunction with the F/I helps keep mixtures closer towards that peak temperature, and the O2 sensor is constantly measureing the CO/O2 content to see if the output is correct. The signals received from it by the ECU are used to tell the FI how to adjust to keep it right on. If an injector gets dirty or for whatever reason leans towards that peak power.... that perfect fuel burn, excess heat develops, and detonation will occur, destroying the engine. REALLY lean, and though it may not damage the engine, it will hardly run.

Didn't mean to be so wordy with this, just wanted to impart understanding.

Hope it helps.

Pers comment about a bigger fuel/air charge is right on. The bigger the charge, the greater the total amount of heat released. Could become a big problem trying to get rid of the extra heat.

Many approaches are made to aid cooling, like using sodium filled exhaust valves. The sodium converts to liquid when the engine is running, and as the valve goes up and down, the sodium...liquid when hot in the sealed valve....picks up the heat from the portion of the valve exposed to the direct heat of combustion, and transferrs that heat toward the valve stem and valve stem tip. There it is exposed to the circulating oil and heat is transferred to the oil and upper valve train oil and transported to the oil cooler. It thereby reduces the valve face temperature. Grinding and Polishing the exhaust ports to enhance exhaust flow helps in this heat removal effort as well.

John Rodgers "88GL Driver Birmingham, AL