Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:25:06 -0000
From:         Phil Marston <pmarston@INSTECH.CO.UK>
Subject:      Handbrake Woes - Sorted :-)

Hi All

Thanks for all the suggestions relating to my lack of handbrake. I took the drums off and found that the auto-adjuster levers on the brake shoes were getting jammed under the threaded rod assembly, so I reset these. Replaced the drums & manually adjusted the threaded rod through the hole in the back plate until the shoes were almost touching the drums (but not quite). Then I re-adjusted the handbrake cable until the handbrake worked. It now holds the Van on a slope without problem, I got back about 4" of adjustment on the handbrake adjuster rod under the car. I also found the footbrake was better too - less travel.

Took the van in for an MOT (the yearly vehicle test in the UK) and the brakes & handbrake passed AOK :-)

Unfortunately it failed on a crack in the windscreen, head lamp adjustment, & emissions. So I've got this weekend to sort these all out :-(

Then I've got all those little jobs to do (I keep finding more), get the heater to work, replace the heater cables, install a stereo, run the speaker wires, install the speakers, get the dash lights to illuminate the dash, etc.......

Other people on the list are correct, your van becomes an obsession that eats time and money. So far I've only driven it about 10 miles to and from the test centre and its already cost me a fortune. Still its got a good number plate 'OOK 220 X' which is good karma (& why I probably bought it in the first place) plus it made me laugh when I drove it (in between my teeth chattering - I must fix the heater !).

One observation I made, in my wifes GTI I'm always at the back of the line of traffic, at least now in the van I am always at the front.

Phil T25 - Still cold.

[text/html]