Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:01:16 -0500
From:         Rick Koller <rkoller@HELIX.NIH.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Leak
Comments: To: mike barker <mariner4@SNET.NET>

At 09:35 AM 01/14/2000 -0500, mike barker wrote: >This morning I let my '87 warm up for about 10 mins (10 degrees out). When >I came back out there was a small pool under the middle of the van. It was >dripping pretty quickly. I gave a quick taste test and to my surprise I did >not get that sweet taste. I thought it was just water melting (wishful >thinking) As I'm driving I notice my finger reeked of gasoline. I have a >gas leak! When I got to work I kept it running and looked under and there >was no leak. I did fill up last night. Any ideas anyone? As usual, thanks >for the advice. >-Mike >(who is getting fed up with his beloved Vanagon) Mike, Most likely one of the rubber fuel tank ventilation hoses, rubber grommets or both. They reside on the top of the tank and when you fill-up the gas sloshes around and leaks out of any loose of cracked hoses. You need to lower the fuel tank to replace these hoses which get brittle and crack over time. BTDT. Take a look at your Bentley/Haynes for a diagram of the hoses. I recall one of the list venders mentioning selling a kit with the proper hoses etc. to do this job. Might as well do them all. Rick Koller