Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:41:40 -0400
From:         "T. Thompson" <tonyt_eye@NS.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: average mpg of the 2.1 L w/automatic
Comments: To: Dldemarest@AOL.COM

I have an 1.9l Automatic which I consistently get 20MP Imperial Gallon which is about 17Mp US Gallon.What I find interesting is that I get the same milage at 55MPH as 70MPH. I would have thought for a brick shaped vehicle that the slower I went it would pay off big time in milage. My only theory is that at the slower speed every hill causes a kickdown into second gear where at 70 the kickdown is either delayed or doesn't happen. A friend of mine has a Ford Conversion van which is bigger, way heavier (6000 lbs) and has way more power (302-V8). He gets 20MPG so I really lost the argument for efficient German engineering. He can't cook in his though so on long journeys we make a good team, we cook in mine and watch TV in his.

Tony 85GL "Westfailure"