Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Jan 2000 20:11:19 EST
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine management (manual control of mixture) A new angle...
Comments: To: DIUTLEY@aol.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

In a message dated 01/16/2000 9:13:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, DIUTLEY writes:

> Did you agree with the earlier post, that when your van is cold, it seems > or feels like you have more power?

Yes, but it is already warmed up for a few minutes, I was talking about the 5 to 7 minutes before full warm is when it runs, before full coolant the warm-up.

Your post about the COLD drag racers engine made me think about my fathers truck his carburetor needs a few minutes to warm-up to run good otherwise it stalls when cold.

The reason cold engines need more fuel is so that they will run until warm because the cold engine parts make the fuel fall out of suspension easier, thus the need for more fuel so at least some reaches the cylinder in suspension to be burned. WHY are emissions so high when the engine is cold? Think about a choke on a carb engine, choke on LESS air and MORE fuel why, because if the engine is cold the fuel falls out of suspension hence the need for a lot of fuel and less air UNTIL the engine is warm (remember the choke slowly comes off as it gets warm) then there is more air and less fuel.

This is the same in FI, when the engine is not fully warm, the fuel is in an increased fuel-air ratio until fully warmed up.

My engine is different then most 2.1L Wasserboxer. I have customized the engine to flow better and be more efficiently (I would clean my Monza tip out and it talks about two weeks of driving miles to start to turn the yellow paint tan). The main reason that the engine does not produce as much power as it does, is because of the FIs design. My engine can product more power if a different FI system is used. My engine might respond differently to the cold fuel enrichment than a stock engine so my idea might not before all, but those that have modified their engine.

<< If this were not the case, why would the manufacturers care where the frest air for the engine came from? In other words, why would the go to the trouble to put in cold air, instead of the ambient air in the engine compartment? I

They use cold outside air rather than hot engine compartment air because the engine would soon overheat and run poorly. In my earlier bug days many people were adding an oil cooler behind the air intake on T1 upright engines, the oil ran cooler (at first) BUT the engine overheated because the air was now warmed by the oil and the number three cylinder bit the dust because of heat damage. Some manufactures have a hot air pick up to help to get the engines up to temp quickly for emissions control and bring cooler outside air.

Robert

Robert