Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:57:30 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      DON'T: Remove "flaps" in Arizona?
Comments: To: "SGarrett@MI.STATE.AZ.US" <SGarrett@MI.STATE.AZ.US>

Let me get this straight, do you think at the High School dropout at BAP is smarter than a bunch of snivel-lipped German engineers with slide rules and pocket protectors? I don't THINK so. VW is not stupid, and the cooling system on your van is perfect, just as designed. You have nearly 25 years of design improvements on the type 4 motor in your Vanagon. Go back and dope-slap that BAP chap.

Removing the thermostat/cable/flaps only INCREASES the oil temperature by 40-80++ degrees. The flaps must be present to shove the cooling air though the comparatively restrictive oil cooler. Without them the air exits through the heads. So you have cooler heads when you spin a main bearing or loose a rod. Great.

Twice, I've driven my old 1976 2.0 with five people and all our luggage 75++mph across SoCA, AZ, NM, UT, TX and down into Baja in July/August without any problems. If you want great cooling, make sure EVERYTHING VW put on that motor is just the way it was the day it was built. Make sure ALL the tin is in place, and not bent. Make sure the foam seal around the engine is making a tight seal(Critical!). Make sure the heat shield under the cooling fan (above the muffler) is in place, and not decomposed. If you have all the tin off, use copper Permatex between the pieces on re-assembly. Make sure your spark-plug boots are in place, and seal correctly.

If all that still leaves your temps too high, add a HUGE oil cooler behind your front grill, using 1/2" copper lines going and coming (don't get rid of the stock cooler, add one).

Finally, as a general rule, VW designers aren't stupid. It is rarely a good idea to lay their expensive education and expertise in the dumpster in favor of your own or some other weed-chewing, tree-leaning tool-box toter.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

"I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! -Wonka

-----Original Message----- From: Sean Garrett [SMTP:SGarrett@MI.STATE.AZ.US] Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2000 11:10 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Remove "flaps" in Arizona?

Upon inspection of my "flaps" in my recently acquired 81 Westy I see that they are wired and rigged and bent. I was told by a local parts place (BAP) that everyone in Phoenix just removes them. Then you just let it warm up a little longer. Are there any other components that work in combination with the cooling system that might be severely affected? Should I do this?