Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:46:34 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: ???-Antifreeze: Is Orange OK-???
Comments: To: JKrevnov@AOL.COM

Vernon the Vanagon, I like it!

You will not reach a consensus on this, I am sure. I have decided to use it for the following reason: It is still ethylene glycol based, but has an entirely different additive package (and chemistry) that prevents acid formation for at least five years or 100,000 miles. It is also phosphate free and approved for all types of engines.

Autobahn blue stuff also has its own phosphate free additive package, but costs twice as much and lasts less than half as long. You do the math, the research, and make your decision.

Dexcool is truly the first major change in coolant chemistry since ethylene glycol was first used, and was developed as part of the manufacturers' ongoing drive to reduce the maintenance required for new vehicles. Unlike silicone brake fluid, it is compatible with existing systems since it has the same base as conventional antifreeze. Silicone based brake fluid has the unfortunate tendency to shrink rubber seals, especially if they have been exposed to glycol based brake fluids for any length of time. I learned the same lesson you did on my MGB's a few years ago.

Chemistry marches forward, and I see no reason not to take advantage of the latest advances when they make such clear economic sense. (And because the Vanagon is such a pain to fill and bleed!)

Here is an article from from the Impala SS enthusiast Web site. It is based on the technical bulletins from Texaco. http://www.theherd.com/articles/dex_cool.html

Rico Sapolich wrote: > > > I have been using orange stuff with distilled water. The application > engineers with whom I have spoken at both Pristine and Texaco, say their > respective product is compatible, although, they have never heard of a Vernon. > > I am starting to wonder if this antifreeze may cause a repeat of my > experience years ago with silicone brake fluid. After reading that silicone > brake fluid was the best thing since sliced bread, I bought a quart of it to > pump into my Volvo. I could only find it at a speed shop and it cost > $32/qt.(1977 dollars) so, it had to be good! I used the entire quart to > flush and refill the brake system and I sat back to enjoy all the benefits of > this marvelous elixir. Well, over the next year, I had more problems with > the brakes on that car than any ten Volvos I have owned. While all the > experts said to make certain the seals in the system were compatible with the > silicone, none had mentioned to disassemble every component a make sure every > trace of the old DOT 3 was removed. So much for sliced bread. > Rich

-- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext 208

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://www.cobaltgroup.com http://www.casedealer.com/demo http://www.caseihdealer.com/demo