Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jan 2000 13:46:18 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Free trade my arse, was Back-of-Seat organizer

At 10:04 AM 01/18/2000 EST, you wrote: > Well, volksies, I got my LL Bean back-of-the-seat organiser in the mail >yesterday. Very nice and sturdy looking. I will put in place today. just >one little tinesy wieny note for those of you up in Canukland. That $19.95 >item price turned into a giant $51.16 cnd dent on my Visa ! Sooooooo, beware >when you order stuff from down south of the border !! > >Cheers > >Frank Condelli

Just want to let you know I am in favor of FREE free trade with Canukland and most others, ie NO DUTIES/TARRIFS/LOADS/PILING ON/FEES/OBSTACLES TO LEGITIMATE BUSINESS/ETC. with all monetary exchange AT PAR. That is the only level playing field there can be. I noted recently that my bank charges me 3% over par for spot exchange. It was 1% a year or so ago. And the merchants in Canukland got some heafty exchange rate ideas for US currentcy, 20% over par typically, when you exchange in the brickandmortor market.

When the one world wide cyber currentcy system gets in place, maybe the middlemen can live comfortable on an 0.5% margin with cyber volumes growing exponentially and providing sufficient windfalls for the connected. But I doubt it, greed being what it is, in both governments and peoples, and governments of the people.

Sami is the economist. What say you, Sami.

T.P. Stephens aka Doktor Tim San Juan Island, WA