Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jan 2000 00:06:57 EST
From:         Kevin Dawson <Calwolfie@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transplant - - Subaru or ???? Need feedback.

Hi All, I think what Robert Lilley has done in rebuilding his waterboxer sounds good but.... only time and miles will really tell how much better his engine choice is over anyone else's. His engine is still relatively Fresh. Engine tuners who prepare engines for the high demands of racing do expect to do a seasonal teardown. So "blueprinting" does not automatically equate an engine capable of high life expectancy. I question the idea that ceramic coating on the heads will solve the possible corrosion issue. Ceramic coatings are known to be porous. Ceramic coatings on piston crowns, valve faces, and the combustion areas of the head are beneficial in lowering the engine temps and giving some power increase. Read articles by engine tuner David Vizard (he the guru of the BMC "A" series engine and the small block chevy but a lot of what he has written carries over to any engine). The waterboxer engine is not the best choice for a novice mechnic to learn on and in fact it can be rather unforgiving. Swapping to another engine be it a Subaru, an I-4, an a 5-cycl., or even "gasp," a different waterboxer engine are legitimate options. There are many ways up the mountain and it is up to each of us to chose what is right for ourselves. Engine rebuilding is like brewing beer, every batch "ie. engine" will be a little different no matter how closely you fallow the recipe. A good brewer, who is brewing day in and out, will be able to achieve a greater consistancy between batchs. I would hate to see a novice spend the money and time to use the Lilley recipe and then be disapointed due to a failure to properly co-odinate all its different subtlites. Consider your skill level, budget, and other resources (understanding family, wife, friends, machine shop owners, and parts suppliers) when making a decision. By the way, my local VW shop has started doing ceramic coatings of headers, exhaust systems, and lots of other things. Its like the brand name "Jet" coating. This is really a great stuff as it is really bullitproof, elimitats rusting, and reduces radiant heat from headers. I think his pricing is very resonable, a header for a Triumph was about $60 to coat. I haven't asked about a Vanagon but if I lived in the rust belt I would really go after this.

Kevin Dawson 87' Wofie 1/2 camper (weekender) 74' Triumph TR-6 69' Triumph TR-6 89' Honda Accord (wife's car) 89' Trooper II