Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:53:36 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: 80 Vangon mystery part?
Comments: To: "SGarrett@MI.STATE.AZ.US" <SGarrett@MI.STATE.AZ.US>

The doo-hickey sounds like an ignition module. The CA vans had electronic ignition, or maybe your previous owner just had a few extra bucks when Pep-Boys had a sale. (Or maybe the BAP chap recommended it?). Without instructions, it is virtually useless. I am not sure I would trust many brands of ignition... "Ignitor (sp?)" makes a great one that fits inside the distributor. I've been using it for about a year and love not having to reset the dwell/advance.

You choose well for low-maintenance reliability. Once you have un-done the damage of the previous owner, your 1980 will give you miles of smiles, and years of worry-free service. The 2.0 air-cooled motor was at its pinnacle of design by 1980, and its reliability is unquestioned.

I would recommend a certain attitude, however: "Spare No Expense". What I mean is, if you truly want to leave your toolbox at home, and be able to drive anywhere, don't flinch an inch when you have to sink $600 into the brakes, or $450 into the front end to make it right. The point is, MAKE IT RIGHT, then you wont have to worry.

My wife and I spent somewhere around $6,000 repairing/replacing mechanical stuff on her 1976 (and a couple grand on noise/rust/heat stuff). The nice thing was, as she drove out of the parking lot in the morning, I didn't have a bit of fear of the thing breaking down in DC traffic or on highway trips.

Best of luck,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

"I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! -Wonka

-----Original Message----- From: Sean Garrett [SMTP:SGarrett@MI.STATE.AZ.US] Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 10:31 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: 80 Vangon mystery part?

Seeking the wisdom of the list again. I am lacking a manual at this time but just sprung for the Bentley yesterday. In my engine compartment on the drivers side there is a (aftermarket brand) 2"x4" do-hickey that has cooling fins on it. about 4-5 wires come out of it and have been cut and are disconnected. Sorry but I can't remember the brand name. What is this?

BTW my van is not parked at my house and its hard to get time to work on it. Also it is a salvage yard special that was (is) not running. I am restoring it in hope that it will serve me well. We bought a 95 camper in July and I fell in live with the VW campers. However my wife drives it and have learned that it is a costly SOB to keep maintained. I wanted something simpler in design, cheaper, and more ground clearance for Kayaking and Hiking jaunts.