Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jan 2000 14:25:56 EST
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Automatic transmission
Comments: To: yturn@hotmail.com

There are lemons in every bunch. I have had two automatic Vanagons, both with high miles on the trannies. Both trannies worked excellent and have yet to cause me any problems (I sold the one '84 GL and I still have the other at 166k miles, 91 Carat). I had one 85 manual tranny Vanagon. It shifted like trash compared to my earlier experience with VW manual transmissions (Jettas, Rabbits, and Golfs) and finally decided to stop going into 3rd and 4th gear without double clutching (syncro hub syndrome, common to these vans). The van had 200k miles on it so I just parked it, sold the motor, and am currently parting it out (body is just too rusty to justify spending money on it). So my two automatic tranny experiences have been great and my one manual tranny experience has been poor. I get around the same fuel mileage with my automatics (18 city, 20 highway) and take off speed is about the same as well (can you accelerate faster with a manual transmission Vanagon when your first gear is so low? I don't think so). So my opinion is, automatics are generally more reliable, have less problems, work great, and really have none of the draw backs that is normally associated with an automatic versus a manual (poor fuel mileage or acceleration). Getting your automatic portion of the transmission rebuilt is around $700 so rebuilds aren't that much more than manual transmissions either (unless you trash out your differential section which is rare) and you have to have them done less often (manual transmissions every 100-150k miles average, automatics every 150k-200k miles) so your overall cost of ownership is less.

My two cents, Ken Wilford http://www.vanagain.com John 3:16 Phone: (856)-765-1583 Shop: (856)-327-0027 Fax: (856)-327-2242