Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:29:35 -0500
From:         Alan Pickersgill <pickersgill@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heating up a motor
Comments: To: KENWILFY@AOL.COM

I don't know about in the U.S. but in Canada I've been told that about November the diesel fuel delivered to stations starts to be "winterized". Not sure exactly what this means in chemical terms but it is supposed to mean that you no longer need to add a % age of gasoline to diesel fuel in the winter as VW advised back when I owned my first 77 diesel rabbit. I think they suggested 20%.

But in the U.S. they may not winterize.

I believe your problem is that the fuel is becoming jelly-like in the lines or it is "waxing" in the filter. The wax in the fuel precipitates out of the fuel and coats the filter element preventing fuel from moving through it fast enough to keep the engine alive.

My Mitsubishi/Dodge D50 Turbodiesel (1983) had a heated fuel filter that caused the fuel to be automatically heated whenever it was really cold. The fuel passing through the heated filter and back to the tank kept the whole system warm enough to avoid these waxing/solidifying problems in the coldest kind of Canadian winters.

Characteristically the Mitsubishi technology was all Bosch stuff built under licence (Diesel Kiki I believe was the name) but where the Bosch stuff was not quite up to snuff the Japanese engineers simply went on to resolve the problems. BTW Mitsubishi had glow plugs that were never slower than 10 seconds getting to temperature, and in the summer there was no delay at all. This was years before VW dealt with these same diesel irritants.

Don't know why people think the German auto engineers are so great. They have some innovative ideas, but they are totally incapable of admitting to even their most glaring errors. Our Vanagon waterboxers which have been perpetrated on the motoring public for almost 20 years are a perfect example. The engine is a disgrace, when you consider what Subaru did to make the same basic concept really work without the aggravation of major rebuilds every 90,000 - 100,000 km. End of rant.

You may want to look for a way to keep the fuel filter warm, or even look fo r a Mitsubishi unit and install it. Although it isn't really a good idea to add gas to the fuel, this will work and probably won't cause that much wear for the few weeks a year when its that cold in MA. Maybe there are people really knowledgeable about diesel fuel on the list who can advise on less harmful additives to prevent your problem.

Alan Pickersgill '85 Transporter converted to Westfalia + 89 diesel Golf. Ottawa Ontario Canada ----- Original Message ----- From: <KENWILFY@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 10:41 PM Subject: Re: Heating up a motor