Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:01:40 -0800
From:         Captain Ray Nemo <busray@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: engine replacement in Texas
Comments: To: scottnorville@POL.NET, vanagon@vanagon.com

>>The bad news came today. The '83.5 Wasserboxer engine is burned out and must be replaced (after getting rear-ended, cracking the coolant expansion tank).

Well, this is arguably damage caused by the collision. Assuming you were the one rear-ended and that the other guy has insurance, I'd probably submit the damage on the claim against the guy who hit me. (Be prepared for the insurer to argue that you were negligent in not noticing the leaking fluid, not stopping when your coolant light went on, etc. They'll also say your not entitled to the entire cost of a rebuilt engine because yours had xxx miles on it.)

Your results may vary. Not affiliated with the certified psychic hotline. Not an insurance lawyer but I play one on TV. See an attorney if you have questions. I recommend HKS, and I hear he's available now that the Todd Hill mediation is complete. (Just kidding HKS)

>>The mechanic estimated $4400 with a VW factory rebuilt engine. I know there are other rebuilders, as well as other types of swaps.

See the archive for detailed discussions regarding the various options. There's been much discussion in the last three weeks. Suffice to say that there are some advantages to a factory VW engine, primarily the warranty. Thus, I'd have the dealer for installation if I bought a factory rebuild.

Otherwise, AVP (direct or through vanagain.com) and Boston Bob have excellent reputations on the list. I've never dealt with either but reputations are hard-earned around this crowd.

See: http://www.sacbiz.com/avp/ http://www.bostonengine.com/ http://www.vanagain.com/

I would personally lean towards Boston Bob or buying the AVP engine through Ken Wilford vanagain.com due to their helpful additions to the list. I would never use GEX or Fast German Auto due to reported problems with quality and customer service.

>>Does anyone in the Fort Worth area have any experience with this?

sorry

Good luck, Ray