Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jan 2000 06:45:47 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heating up a motor
Comments: To: Southard Family <southard@GIS.NET>

Sounds like you have it all figured out...in the winter, beware of stations that don't sell much diesel. Chances are, they don't have winterizer in their fuel. If you have any reservations about whether the station has winterizer in the fuel, mix Stanadyne into your fuel per the instructions. In a pinch, you can mix a couple of gallons of Kerosene in with a full tank of diesel, but you have to do ALL of this prior to the wax separating. This time of year, it isn't a bad idea to keep a container of Stanadyne in the trunk for use during fill-ups. G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

"I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! -Wonka

-----Original Message----- From: Southard Family [SMTP:southard@GIS.NET] Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 10:29 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Heating up a motor

Ken:

Good tips for a home-bound stubborn diesel.

Anybody have tips for starting a diesel that has stopped out on the road? This happened to me yesterday here in MA. Temperature was -4F at 6:30am. I was only 4 miles from home on an Interstate in my Golf TDI. The car had been running about 10 minutes, but only for 3 minutes at 65mph. Suddenly started to hesitate and then lost power completely. Had to pull over to the shoulder. I had nothing to create heat. In fact, I realized that I should be more worried about me than the car. Fortunately I had a cell phone and called my wife. She arrived a half hour later with the EV. In the meantime, two State Troopers stopped to make sure I was OK (i.e. warm enough). The second one waited with me until my wife showed up. I also called VW Roadside assistance (the 2 year perk with new car purchases.) They showed up in the form of AAA eventually and towed the car to my FLVWD. They wanted to check to make sure it was not some other failure, but things worked fine after they let it warm up in the garage. No charge for the tow or the check.

Guess I'll be careful where I fill up (I had lasted filled at a "gas" station that does a little diesel business). Also wondered if my "high" speed contributed to the problem. At 65mph, does the fuel move through the fuel filter too fast to benefit from the warming system built into it? Maybe -4F is just too cold!

Maynard '82 Westy Diesel "Reinhardt" '93 EV GL "Klinger" '00 Golf GLS TDI "WooHoo"

On Tuesday, January 18, 2000 10:09 PM, KENWILFY@AOL.COM [SMTP:KENWILFY@AOL.COM] wrote: > My buddy called me up today. Seems his '86 Jetta Turbo Diesel decided it was > too cold to start and left him stranded at home. > I went over this afternoon and here is what we did that got the engine going. > Put a lamp with a 100 watt light bulb under the hood. > Put an electric grille under the base > Within an hour of putting the grille under the motor (fit perfectly under > there), she had cranked and was running.