Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jan 2000 08:48:07 -0800
From:         Dave Bayer <daveb@CP.NET>
Subject:      Re: Quad Grilles are Back!

KENWILFY@AOL.COM wrote: > > The H3s that will be coming with the grilles this time are DOT approved. So > no problems with inspection.

Are these the like the 'off-road' lamps that came with the original shipment of the SA grilles or does these inner lights have real mounts with adjusting screws so you can properly aim the things?

For those that don't know, the first batch of these grilles that Eurospec brought in included a driving lamps that were basicly those lights that 'off-roaders' stick up on their lighting bars - the back of the units where encased in a metal jacket, they mounted via a post coming out the bottom to a bracket that Eurospec created (which required drilling new holes in the sheet metal). One aimed these things by loosening the nut that held the lamp to the bracket, findling with the lamp and then tighten the nut down and hoping that you didn't screw the alignment up in the process...

The real inner lights from SA where simply a piece of sheet metal with a total of 4 bends in it and the same inner Hella light that one finds on the euro 4 light system for the rabbit/golf/jetta which includes nice adjusting screws so you can precisely set the beam with the grille on...

Oh, I have a set of the old lights if anyone wants a spare set of 55W H3 lights for extra light... I'd like to recoup some of the money I spent on the correct inner lamps but I also want to reclear out the space they take up in my box-o-stuff-for-the-bus.

dave