Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jan 2000 14:30:28 -0500
From:         Dominique Cormann <kozmik@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: [DIESEL] RE: Heating up a motor
Comments: To: Southard Family <southard@gis.net>
Comments: cc: "diesel@vwfans.com" <diesel@vwfans.com>,
          "KENWILFY@AOL.COM" <KENWILFY@aol.com>

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:29:02 -0500 Southard Family <southard@gis.net> wrote:

> > > Guess I'll be careful where I fill up (I had lasted filled at a "gas" > station that does a little diesel business). Also wondered if my "high" > speed contributed to the problem. At 65mph, does the fuel move through the > fuel filter too fast to benefit from the warming system built into it? > Maybe -4F is just too cold! >

Thats cold, but not cold enough to keep you from driving.

For the next time, either keep some #1 keroscene in a jerry can, or even better buy some Powerservice 911 dethawing liquid. Either can be dumped in the tank while the engine can at least still idle and will dethaw things before they get completely solid. With the engine still running it should have kept things from completely going solid, since enough warm diesel coming back through the fuel return should have kept it from getting solid. Thats enough flow for something like the 911 product to dethaw things.

The normal diesel fuel supplement they sell is more concentrated and does the same thing, but is meant to be used as a all in one diesel fuel conditioner in the winter in place of #1 or other winterizing practices. It can also dethaw fuel that has even been treated with an antigel.

The nice bonus with things like the PS products is they are less harmful to use then #1, and they are cheaper to boot.

-- ============================================================--------- Dominique Cormann Email: kozmik@home.com Homepage: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca Diesel page: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca/gtdproject 84 Rabbit D - daily driver 84 Rabbit GTD - work'in on it