Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2000 02:38:51 -0800
From:         yahi <yahi@OLYPEN.COM>
Subject:      VW Trends & Heresy

Well, if you like vanagons, don't rush out and get the latest VW Trends. Shame on them for featuring an article that thoroughly trashes vanagons and this in an issue dedicated to "50 Years of the VW Bus". And get ready it's all coming our way, since apparently ours is "a fabulous website that can help you find the best conversion for you", engine conversions that is. I didn't know that's what we are. Yes indeed get ready for threads on how to stuff V8's into your vanagon engine compartments or how about advice on "ripping out" the whole drivetrain in favor of a Porsche 911 SC/G50 setup. Afterall, what's a vanagon anyway?

Back to this article I just finished reading subtitled "A Ugly tale with a Happy Ending", the happy ending being Eurospec's conversion which the author oohs and ahhs over, which ironically according to the inset is no longer available. Apparently, he was conflicted over whether to torch his '91 Carat, shoot it or take a baseball bat to it but somehow exercised enough restraint thanks to his wife, although she did give him the bat, to opt for the "affordable" solution, a conversion for just under $5000. Wow cheap. I realize now that this guy's problems with his vanagon are really his problem. In other words he's the problem. Three blown head gaskets in under 100k and disintegration of the vehicle as he terms it is a more a testament to his driving or his inability to properly maintain his vehicle not to mention his propensity for violent solutions. Of course his real dream van as it turns out, is the Chevy Astro Van his dad lent him in his hour of darkness for which he proclaims "Here is a vehicle any monkey who took Autoshop 101 could completely rebuild from stem to stem in less than a day......it filled the void in our lives so completely we forgot all about the Vanagon". I love happy endings, but hey don't rag on monkeys!

still a vanagon Yahi '87 Syncro Westy 102,000mi