Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:39:39 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: "Swamp Cooler" questions
Comments: To: CARY CHIANG <chiang1@USA.NET>

At 03:23 PM 1/21/00 -0700, CARY CHIANG wrote: >Westy's roof in place of the vent hatch. It was so heavy I could not lift the >top more than a few inches.

Prolly full of water...

> I only saw 5 buttons for controls; 2 for fan >speed and 3 for low to high humidity. I am not familiar with these devices >and was wondering how they compare to an air conditioner, especially in >regards to what type of climates/temperatures are best suited to each?

They don't work where it's humid. The dryer and hotter it is the better they work. Just how well that is, though, I don't know.

>Someone once told me they can make the air feel "cooler", but I don't >understand how, other than a "dry" heat is better than a "wet" one.

They work because every gram of water they evaporate sucks about half a kilocalorie of heat out of the air. So when conditions favor evaporation they cool the air considerably.

> Also, >would this monster be capable of "conditioning" the air in a westy at rest on >battery or only on shore power,

They only use electricity for a fan and maybe a little pump -- the heat transfer is by the evaporation of water. You might have to find a train station to fill the water tank, though -- better add some railroad wheels <g>.

> and is it a possible option to a real air >conditioner only while driving, if at all?

No data...

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"