Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:47:29 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW Trends and Eurospec STILL LACK of power...
Comments: To: Wolfvan88@AOL.COM

After a great deal of study on Robert Lilley's approach to an engine for his van, I decided that I would want to go only one of two ways for my own van. Either it got a VR6 or it got a Robert Lilley style engine rebuild. The latter would give me an engine that fit the van. No hassle with swap situations and all they can entail. A stock installation, but not a stock WBX.

In the end, budget contraints killed even the Robert Lilley approach. I wound up with what I felt to be a deal. I get a freshly rebuilt engine with all new guts...in the case there were new bearings, seals, etc. rebuilt rods, new barrels and pistons and rings, new lifters, REBUILT heads( the only weak spot,) but they had new guides, valves, seats. refaced flywheel. Basically a longblock. All for $1500 from a local rebuilder I trust. And a bonus...I got to heep my old engine.....which will at some point become the ultimate Robert Lilley type engine. Now $1500 is not a lot of money, yet it is a lot of money to me. But this new engine is to be a throwaway more or less. I'm gong to run the crap out of it......not abuse it...I don't abuse my machines....but it is going to see some mileage. The first sign of anything more than just minor naintenance problems, or signs or any internal problems, like compression dropping on one cylinder, out it comes and in goes the newer engine.

Robert Lilley sent me a copy of the procedures he used on his. It's not that tough. If you have ever torn down and rebuilt aType I then you know the WBX is not that big of a deal. Once you pull the heads on the WBX, the mystery disappears completely.

The engine is the basic VW 4-banger, but instead of cylinders with fins for air cooling, there is a shroud of aluminum that is cast as part of the case. When the cylinders are in place, and the heads bolted on, the assembly forms the water jacket for keeping the cylinders cool. It is a simple approach really. The problems occur in the way the sealing system was designed and everybody knows about that. A little corrosion and the head seals begin to leak. On my own engine, when it was torn down at 82,000 miles for a failed piston, the heads had absolutely no corrosion anywhere, period. Robert, to avoid the possibility of corrosion over the expected life of his engine, chose to ceramic coat the mating surfaces of the heads. That works.

For myself when digging through the cost of all this, I found that for right at $3000 I could get everything he did, including remove and replace, except the ceramic coating. That included the Demello counterweighted crank, the balancing of the rotating assemblies, the new cyl. assemblies, the new heads,, and all the polishing and grinding etc. it depends a lot on how much you can do yourself.

Once I saw the $3000 figure, realized how much I can do myself, I decided for me that was the way to go. There is absolutely no reason what ever for that engine to give problems if it is rebuilt with some consideration to fine tuning as it is built up.

In a discussion with my mechanic about the counterbalancing, he said that after driving a counterbalanced VW 4-banger, I would never want to drive another that wasn't counterbalanced. He told me that evry little thing would help the life of the engine, and such things as the counter balancing would of course make the engine run smoother, increase the horsepower, and that by reducing vibration, wear and tear would be reduced, thus inducing longer life.

Having been an aircraft mechanic for many years, and having to deal with vibration problems on those beasts, I agree. Of course many other things come into play, but everything one can do to reduce vibration is of benefit.

A van owner just has to decide how far he wants to go in chasing the demons..

John Rodgers "88 GL Driver