Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:39:45 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      (F) No Van content, Re: Interesting item on eBay

At 12:51 PM 01/21/2000 EST, you wrote: >I readily admit that individual cases may vary. And I feel that ebay is an >excellent opportunity for a seller to dispose of used and/or elder >merchandise at far more than liquidation, classified or swap meet prices. My >point is only that an informed buyer (with knowledge of alternative internet >and local pricing) will do very little ebay business. 10 % less with 2 x >shipping costs and no warranty seems a poor bargain. 10 to 40 % more, 2 x >shipping and no warranty with hard, no seller cost prepayment seems to be the >type of terms PT Barnum would really appreciate. > >On a more positive note, I do find ebay a source of images of things I am >considering from other sources (classified, internet ad postings and the >Recycler). Still looking for the round gas can that fits inside the spare >though! > >Frank Grunthaner

I have scored bigtime on E-bay. With a long surveying career behind me, I am fond of nice German, Swiss and US instruments. I got a MINT K&E (premo US 60's) compass with the espezially nice MINT K&E dark green leather case (as new) and a rough but servicable original box for one third the current best price for the current patent design production with a nice but lesser case.

I obtained also a very nice Zeiss microscope with hardwood case and full variety of lenses, in superb condition, for my fungal spore identification needs. At least 2000 1970's $'s new. Paid $375.

I got a $2400 (1997 price) professional digital camera for less than $400. Got a new OEM large capacity battery as well at 1/2 the best cost otherwise on the web.

Also, I just picked up an original Porsche 912 cast iron distributor with TIGHT shaft, original chocolate brown cap and rotor. I paid 10% current value of a new aluminum replacement. Either works superbly. Only one LOOKS original, which also happens to be the one that will last 300,000 miles if you give the shaft felt 3 drops of oil periodically, like at every lubrication inspection, like it says in the factory manual.

But then, I pay attention, and only bid on items I have some knowledge of and know well the value to ME. Due to communication with sellers prior to bidding, I have yet to have a problem in a dozen or so purchases via M.O. The buyer/seller feedback on E-Bay is very effective at keeping the incidence of fraud quite low. Always review the sellers feedback profile before bidding. The buyer just has to know junk when he sees it. Some don't. The path for fools is more than well trodden enough for the charletans to make a very yuppie living, as well.

T.P. Stephens aka Doktor Tim San Juan Island, WA