Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2000 22:38:56 EST
From:         David Utley <DIUTLEY@AOL.COM>
Subject:      I should introduce myself,
              as I used to work for Eurospec (Overland Parts)...

Hello All!

I guess it is about time I introduce myself, as I have a little pertinent information on the Eurospec conversion. My name is David Utley, and back in '97, I worked for Overland Parts, which is the parent company of Eurospec. My wife was stationed at the Defense Language Institute, in Monterey CA. at the time. Anyways, we had just moved from Oklahoma, and this was our first big move together, we had just gotten married. Anyways, I was very excited to work at Overland, as it was my first truly professional job, and it was in something I loved, Volkswagens! I have for years worked on and off with a friend at his garage, but this was completely different. Shelves and shelves of VW and AUDI parts everywhere! But I digress. A former VW dealer mechanic by the name of David Meeks was the fella that physically made all those parts work together. From what I know, most of the parts were from South Africa, as previously mentioned. They were however slightly different, as David had quite a bit of fitment to make it all work. Different Digifant brains (different terminals were used), different mounts than the Diesel ( I believe they had to be altered slightly), on and on. It was quite interesting to see the advances made from a bin of parts to a working prototype. Unfortunately, I had to leave before it was finsihed, but I still reflect to my time there as the most fun I have ever had on the clock. But now, to the point: there are no more kits available from Eurospec. I happened to ask a friend who still works there not a few days ago how the sales were going on them. He had said they are all gone, all 64 kits. That is apparently what they had in mind to make from the begining. I was disappointed myself, for even though I do not have a Vanagon, I want one. In fact I intend to get a Syncro Westy if I can find it. And, I did of course want to put this kit in there, as this is the one I saw develop. I am interested in 'Peter's kit however, how can I find more info out about it? Unfortunately too, Eurospec has no plans to make any more kits, either. And as far as I know, Eurospec has no Cam to offer, or any other go-fast parts for their kit. They did have at one time and awesome brake upgrade, although you had to buy the wheels that they offer to allow the brakes to fit. Personally, I think the wheels look great. On the note of the cam, surely it is not to hard to find a cam for a Digifant injected 2L engine? I am guessing, but I would think that there is already one available for that. Anyone?

On the other side of things, I should give you a little more info on myself (those of you only interested in Eurospec material, scroll on :-) ). I have had VWs for 9 years, starting with an 84 GTi which I still have. I have had a 74 Bug, and currently have a 77 Westy and an 88 Cabriolet ( the wife's ). If indeed I do find the perfect Synchro, THe Westy will have to go, no need for two. :-) The 84 GTi has an 85 GTi engine in it, which is CIS-E instead of CIS. It is a higher compression engine, and puts out 105 hp instead of 90. THe car has really been through hell, but it is so much fun to drive, I cannot part with it. This is the reason why I inquired about other VW lists, and I ask again here. Could someone please give me ANY other VW lists, aircooled, water, it doesn't matter. It's all good :-) I now work for O'Reilly Auto Parts, an auto parts store of 500+ stores throughout the nation. I enjoy the work, asI really do enjoy cars. I still wish that I could devote my time to Volkswagens, maybe one day..........

So that is my life in a nutshell. I'm sorry for all the rambling, as I am still new to the group, and do not really have a sense of the community here yet. I would greatly appreciate any answers or suggestions to the questions I have offered here. Any time I see a topic I might help out on, I try to offer something myself. That is what all this is about, right? :-) Ramble switch, now off.............

David

P.S., I may from time to time have the screen name 'Farfignugat'.