Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:08:31 -0800
From:   Andy <easoars@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:   PKP vs Halon vs Co2

To my Vanagon friends,

In my firefighting years I have undergone different firefighting training...I prefer PKP especially for class bravo fires which means (petroleum products) that will be the likely fire with air cooled engines. Halon is no longer produce... and affects the ozone and can be kept until exspended...great for any fire but works effectively in closed compartments...it removes the oxygen from the space... if that space is not contained (dont feed more oxygen) it can reflash depending on the temperature of the substance or flammable liquids...in other words if the oxygen is removed at that moment and ventilation can not be secured...there is a greater chance that it will reflash depending on its flash point... Now CO2 works the same way but also cools the burning substance and adds just what it says it is carbon dioxide. However in Bravo fires AFFF and PKP are your primary firefighting agents. IT MAY BE MESSY but it will clean up. Under control burns I have used CO2 after CO2 fire extinguishers on burning pool of fuel and oil and it would extinguish but once the pool reaches its flash point... it would immediately reflash. In the same scenario we used one PKP and put out the fire and also smother the fire...keep explosive vapor from surfacing preventing the reflash. We then tryed to restart the fire and failed to do so. When there is a fire you want the extinguishing agent to work fast and not reflash. Its up to you what suites you best I can only stress how important it is to have something vs nothing.

Recommended tips on fire fighting Class Alpha Fire: Burning material which leaves an ash...paper, people, wood, etc (extinguishing agent H2O, AB, ABC, PKP, CO2, Halon)

Class Bravo Fire: Flammable liguid, gasoline, diesel, oil, hydraulic fliud, petro products (extinguishing agent AFFF, PKP, CO2, Halon, AB, ABC)

Class Charlie: electronics, wiring, electrical (note: secure the power source then put out the fire) ABC, CO2, Halon, PKP will put it out but long term problems may occur due to corrosion of electronic parts)

Class Delta: Magnesium and any other material that is self pontaneous( extinguishing agent PKP or just clear the area until it burns itself out)

One last tip know the fire fighting extinguisher you prefer and read the label on HOW TO USE IT very important!! How far you should stand from the fire and where you should aim.

I hope this may hope Andy WILD WILD WESTY 82