Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Jan 2000 20:54:22 -0500
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      About The Factory Fender Flares
Comments: To: Syncro@onelist.com

Believe it or not, there are *three* different factory fender flare sets depending on the vanagon model you are talking about. 14", 16", and a special 14" model.

But since they cost $600 for a set, and since you will want a spare set or two in the event of accident due to the obscurity and potential unavailability of spare parts, the cost right now to go this route could push $1,000 so nobody does it.

Many listiees signed up for the Winkler fender flares Helmut so graciously decided to organize two years ago, but the shipment resulted in a resounding thud as everyone saw that there was a reason they cost 1/6th as much as a factory set. Many purchasers simply did not install their Winklers and there were posts as they tried to unload them onto the list. I've never seen either type of flares except for in jpegs or gifs so I cannot comment.

In any case, for the reasons of access to replacement parts in the event of damage and also price it is not practical to order the factory flares until we find out the OEM manufacturer and order direct, assuming that the manufacturer is not VW. Possibly I will be able to make some progress in this area through some pursuits in the event that all goes well with the current viscous initiative. These fender flares are the kind of thing I would expected Michael Sullivan to be contemplating as it has that exquisite toy aspect he seems to go for, and that I would like to go for too some day.

The fender flares are a nice touch because they help keep mud off the side of the vanagon, something the vehicle has problems with in non-fender flare version.

The main logical reason to go for flares is not so much a matter of extravagance, however, as it is to make possible a full-bore 16"-max configuration.

The max configuration is 6.17 final drive ratio gears together with 30" or possibly 31" tall tires on 16" rims (plus 16" rear trailing arms and plus the 16" fender flares).

This big tires are so big that the rear trailing arms must be replaced with the special 16" rear trailing arms or the tires will hit these. Also, the fender wells must be cut away to make room for the tire, and consequently there is a need for fender flares to hide the cutting to the vehicle.

It seems to me then that the 14" flares are of questionable value in a cost benefit ratio whereas the 16" flares are an entirely different animal; they have another purpose, being part of an extraordinary package that brings the vehicle into the ultimate state reached by the SDP engineers before having the rug pulled out of them by the Eurovan marketing department.

From my perspective, the ideal thing would be to import a large number of the flares in an agreed upon size to the USA and for some bloke to stockpile a healthy number of extras and sell the extra pieces to those list members who need replacements due to accident--a ratio of 1.5 to one in ordering and stockpiling seems about right.

There are three pieces per side, or six altogether that might need to be replaced.

Giving pause to this whole thing is the simple math behind the problem of the 16"-max package. In parts alone it looks something like $3,600 for the front and rear ring and pinion + fender flare set + rear trailing arms. While I'd be willing to save my pennies for this kind of thing (see URLs below in my SIG for why this might be so), I have simply have not run into another list member who things it is a cool idea besides myself in any kind of serious way. No wonder: include labor and the idea yields for probably close to $5,000 the benefit of 2" of additional ground clearance. To me this sounds to me like an excellent deal notwithstanding the fact that I am not paying for it right now pending investigations into increased practicality.

At 06:07 PM 1/23/00 -0500, you wrote: Dear Larry,

For starters, the "real" ones are NOT fiberglas, rather a rubber-like plastic. If someone tries to sell you fiberglas ones -- run away!!!!

Cheers, MJS

At 02:42 PM 1/23/00 -0800, G&L Ostrom wrote: >>>> Hi- I've seen a few pictures of non-USA Syncros with fiberglass fender flares that rap arount the whole wheel well instead of the tiny "mudflaps" on the USA Syncros. Does anybody know if there is a way of getting a set of these?

Larry O. '90 Syncro Westy Auburn, WA

<<<<

Michael J. Sullivan IPS "SWATteam" Architect Open Market, Inc.

********************************************* phone: 781.359.7624 work: http://www.openmarket.com scan tips: http://www.hsdesign.com/scanning vanagon: http://www.hsdesign.com/vanagon *********************************************

212-580-6486

Alternate numbers for the industrious phone caller that wants to try every avenue: 917-848-6425 (cell); 202-966-7907 (Work), 212-580-4459 (Home), 202-966-0938 (Home).