Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jan 2000 09:12:24 EST
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: C.A.R.B. Legalities. Was  Re: VW Trends and Eurospec
Comments: To: BenTbtstr8@aol.com

Ben, the other thing to think about is the Federal rule that, if you do an engine swap, that the engine come from a vehicle that is the same model year or newer than yours. Therefore you couldn't really put a '75 Rabbit motor into a 85 Vanagon and have it legal.

The reason that Eurospec had to get CARB approval for their engine (from what I have heard) is because it is an engine that doesn't exsist in nature. In other words, it is an engine that was never in production, or was ever installed in cars before E-spec decided using it for their conversions. What I have heard (from folks who have inspected the conversion and from E-spec themselves) is that the motors they were using were Rabbit/Golf/Jetta blocks with an Audi 2.0l head on them that they put together. Since this motor had never been in a production automobile, it was critical that they got CARB approval for it before it ever went to inspection. Alot of folks think (as I did) that the CARB approval means that you don't have to have the van inspected by a referee, or that it is instantly approved. I have heard that this is not true. That even with the approval, you still have to have each conversion inspected by a referee, and individually approved anyway, the CARB stuff just helps this process go along faster, or gives you more of a guarantee that it will be approved.

I am just glad that here in the "People's Republic of New Jersey" we aren't bound by oppressive laws like you are in California. You'll have to excuse me now the Thought Police are here and I'm in trouble again. :)

Ken Wilford http://www.vanagain.com John 3:16 Office (856)-765-1583 Shop (856)-327-0027 Fax (856)-327-2242