Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:22:36 -0500
From:         LAWS HOME <backintime@TRITON.NET>
Subject:      Re: french fry/biodiesel

Yes, biodiesel does have a way of " eating rubber fuel lines. One might think that it is because the finished product is approx. 15 percent Methanol (alcohol) , and if we have learned anything from the past we should have learned that alcohol eats rubber! Remember the "Gasohol" of the '70's......same problem. The difference now is that we have plastic fuel line now that can get us around that problem. The manufacturer of such hoses is Viton, You can get the balance lines and other return and supply lines pertaining to the fuel system from them at www.viton.com/products/viton/default.html . The article you have eluded to from the "commune" is probably from "dancing rabbit ecovillage" right? I hate to tell you this but they haven't even had that diesel van around for quite some time. I believe that it wasn't so much problems with the fuel or the lines , but rather a maintanance problem...i.e. they didn't maintain it like you or I would. They are not mechanics on this "commune" they are a group of people trying to live off the grid as "earth friendly" as possible. (From what I learned/ understand after visiting their site) While it is true that bio-diesel has a "warmer" cloud point than #2 diesel, there are also ways around this. As I don't own a diesel Westy/Vanagon YET, I do have 3 diesel rabbits. ( one of those engines wants to jump into my '84 Vanagon real bad) I really don't have the time to do an engine swap right now, I'm working on a bigger bio-mixer. The key to getting your "waste oil" is asking at the smaller "mom and pop" restaurants. Eventually I plan on running my route rabbits on nothing but bio-diesel, or maybe this spring I will get ambitious and set one of them up to run on just filtered/preheated waste fryer oil. All of the research I have done has been leaning toward the VW/AUDI diesels (TDI included) as being the best/most reliable engines to run bio-diesel in. Engines to stay away from are the Fords with the 6.9l, 7.3l as they have rubber componants in the injector which cannot be replaced with any alternative at this time. BTW the book they sell on some of those bio sites is cheaper if you buy it at Barnes and Noble! they are about $13 cheaper! It is called From the Fryer to the fuel Tank by Joshua and Kaia Tickell $26 at B&N.